Notices

I really Wish I could quit........

Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really Wish I could quit........

I started drinking when I was 13. It has been 11 years. When I turned 21 wow did things get bad. Now I could buy it myself. for the last 3 years I have drank almost everyday I drink anywhere from 3-7 days a week and when I do drink it is 8-12 beers a night.

I have wanted to quit drinking for a very long time but I just have not been able to.

The last 3 years I have a had a ton of stuff do on in my life

Number 1 I got married
2 I got a house
3 I got my first real job making 50k a year
4 I got fired from my first real job
5 I got another job doing the same thing with a different company making the same money
6 I quit my job
7 I opened a business
8 I opened a 2nd business
9 My 1 business failed
10 I opened a 3rd business now back to 2
11 I had to get a full time job and work 40 hours a week plus work 40 hours at the business because I cant pay the bills
12 I sold 1 business
13 now I still have 1 business and 1 full time job working 80 hours a week
14 my wife is has been in the hospital for the last 2 months with a tumor on her liver. I have no health insurance and the medical bill is up to 200k
15. i think my wife is going to leave me because I work everyday all day so I can try and keep the house and pay the medical bills. I never go to see my wife at the hospital because I am working 84 hrs a week 8 to 8 everyday 7 days a week.

When I get home all I want to do is drink..... and that is all I do.

I cant help it I need someway to get out of this nightmare.

I need help and didnt know where else to turn.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First of all Welcome to SR!!! It is a great place for support.

I just like you drank not because I loved the way it tasted.. how it made me feel.. it was how it didn't make me feel. It didn't make me feel overwhelmed like my husband, life, job, past did.

What I can tell you that there is hope! Keep coming here and reading people's stories... post your experiances, share, sometimes it just takes knowing someone else is there... and that someone cares.

Wishing you the best.

Saliena
Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I'm sorry for your situation, but I'm sure you know that drinking is not helping the situation that you are in. Drinking always makes things worse. Please know that there is hope.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi brunoandporky

It's obviously a stressful time for you, but I can guarantee, like Anna said, that drinking will not help make things better, only worse.

Have you tried any face to face support - someone to talk to like a Dr, or counsellor - have you tried some kind of recovery group for your drinking like AA or something similar?

D
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am sorry for your circumstances though.

You sure do have a lot on your plate and ANYONE would need some sort of stress reduction program. I never really felt that alcohol reduced my stress. I found it upped my anxiety and made me even more uptight, if that was possible and yes, it was possible. When I gave up drinking the anxiety virtually disappeared. Also your over all health must not be doing well with all this stress. I agree with Dee and I would find a doctor or counselor to talk with. You need to start taking care of yourself.

Keep us updated and post whenever you need to.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family!

Whatever method you choose to stay sober, work it like your life depends on it 'cause it does.

I was an all day every day drinker and I stayed sober with a little AA, a lot of counseling, and a lot of SR! I'm glad you found us. You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BKP

We love sober friends at this site. Congrats on accomplishing what many including myself thought was impossible~
Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just try to take it day by day. Say "I won't drink in the next 24 hours". Give yourself a chance. You can do it!

When you feel that urge, just sit still with the urge, let it rise up and then let it pass. Try to slow down a little too. It sounds like you are living life at a breakneck speed. Purposely slow down a little once a day (especially if you feel an urge to drink) and simply be still, let yourself feel, let yourself sit. It is really hard at first, but the more you see that the feelings rise and fall, come and pass, you will not need to keep running from them. Remember -- your feelings are not an emergency -- they can't hurt you.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome brunoandporky - I don't know how you're coping, but I hope things can work out for you sometime soon. I do know that alcohol made my life more stressful (except for the couple of hours out of 24 that I didn't care because I was buzzed).

You'll find lots of support and understanding here - I hope it helps make a difference in your efforts to quit.:ghug3
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Bruno,
My youngest son is a few years older than you. He was proprieter of popular National chain Steakhouse. He did very well and was with them for the last 12 years. He worked there all through college. He was getting burned out with all the hours and all the calls on his day off. So he decided that at 33 he was ready for a change in life, quit his job, and registered for nursing school. He will become a trauma nurse, his wife is a surgical ICU RN too.

I don't know how you are juggling all those plates you have in the air. I am sorry to hear about your wife being ill on top of all that. I hope she gets well soon.

You nailed it when you talked about balance. Too much work and no time for family and friends can be a contributing factor. I too was high energy and started some businesses while I was active duty and they prospered. Took about the same hours as you are doing. I retired again a couple of years ago because of the stress. I already have retirement checks coming in and medical is taken care of, so I really don't need to work. But I went to the other extreme and little by little started drinking earlier and earlier, until last year I was really overdoing it and a few months back before I got sober I had tremors and was going downhill fast. See, I was out of balance too, as I had too much time on my hands and was not being useful. I am going back to work now that I am sober. Maybe we can meet in the middle if we ever figure out where that is.

In the meantime read all you can here. Post and use the group to get a feel for what might work for you to get back in balance. Many have made it here.