Notices

Rock Bottom

Old 11-27-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock Bottom

Hello, my name is caleb and im an alchoholic. I just did a year in a state penitentury. I just got out wednesday. I have absolutely nothing but some cloths.y moms an drunk and my sisters a stripper who addicted to painkillers and im shere soon to be heroin. While incarcerated my mom threw away all my id so now im broke, sleeping from place to place. Its looking really bad for me can anyone give me some advice lol?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

There are many things that states and counties offer. I would suggest to go to your county office and explain your dilemma and they can possibly place you in a sober living house. Being that your an alcoholic get to an AA meeting and share your issue there as well. There may be someone who's been in your situation that can point you in the right direction. The best advise I can give you is to not drink, it won't solve your problem but in fact make it worse. It's good that your putting yourself out there and being proactive as opposed to drinking. But do look into your local area to see whats available for someone in your position. Good luck and I wish you well.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ya im only 20 so i do have a long way to go. Its just frustrating i have to start all over
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I love this place.

Check out A Better Way Ministries in Georgia. They take people in your situation and get you all 'hooked up'. They do have a webpage Welcome to A Better Way Ministries

Here is a snip of the founder, John Barrow's, (know him personally)story
I found myself in prison with a 10-year sentence for robbery. All due to drugs and alcohol and a deep insecurity in my life.

During the second year of this sentence, I was caught selling drugs inside the penitentiary and was placed in solitary confinement for 28 days. I had been in the "hole" many times before, but this time was different. As I lay on that cold slab of concrete, I began to reflect on my life. Finally, I came to the realization that not only was I in prison, but now I was in solitary confinement inside of prison. It wasn't enough to just be locked up, I had to repeatedly visit the hole for my misconduct. I had become my own worst enemy. It was then that I knew I couldn't go on any longer the way I was. In the hole the only book you are allowed to read is the Bible. So I began reading in Genesis and read the entire thing for 28 days. I literally cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I found myself under the same conviction I had been under as a boy, when John Koth had spoken to us at the Fulton County Y.D.C. The seed that had been planted when I was 13 years old was still alive. It would not die. The word says in Isaiah 55:11 "...My word will not return to me void. It will accomplish what it is set out to do." From that moment on I was a changed man. Even though it took me years to shake off what 26 years of living in sin had done to my life, God was faithful and helped me make it through.

I have not been back to prison since 1989, He has blessed me with a wonderful wife of 20 years, 5 beautiful children, grandchildren, a great income (where I have never lacked anything), a pardon from the Department of Corrections (which is almost impossible to get) made me a chaplain for the prison system and has also made me an ordained minister. Only God can take you from the prison to the pulpit.
full story here

Last edited by gr8ful42day; 11-27-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add link
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Since you are in Ohio, I would suggest you start with the Salvation Army.

Not only will they probably be able to help in some way, they have a GREAT FREE Recovery Program that will help you to learn how to live sober and clean and 'abide by the laws' of the country, state, county and city where you reside.

And, please keep posting to let us know how you are doing as we do care very much.

I am glad you are seeking recovery at only 20, it took me until I was just shy of my 36th birthday, sheesh ..................... why was I so dumb? rofl

Love and hugs,
Old 11-27-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR.

20 is an excellent time to start over. Think how long you'll have to be doing it 'right'.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome Caleb. I know your life seems bleak right now, but you are so young. All you need is some help getting on your feet. I agree with going to the Salvation Army. They offer many different programs there.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Caleb

I'm not in OH, but the Salvation Army sounds a good place to start
Good luck - check back in with us

D
Old 11-27-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR (((Caleb)))!

I also agree with the Salvation Army. I know some states offer help to people who have been recently released from prison..school, housing options, etc. May want to see if OH has anything like that.

You may also want to check out AA meetings...give you a place to go, get away from the craziness of your family, and meet some people who understand. I know you're young, but I had a friend in AA who was 19, with 2 years in recovery and there were several other younger people there.

It took me until I was in my 40's to get clean and I did a lot of damage in all that time. You don't have to make the same mistake I did.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery, and I hope you keep reading/posting. Lots of great people here.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Caleb!!! Welcome to SR...

Wow, 20....as others mentioned, things may seem 'bleak' but you are YOUNG!!! You've got a LOT of years ahead of you to do wonderful things with. The Salvation Army sounds great if it's available. The one out here does both shelter and recovery programs I do believe.....so your local one probably does too!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well crap, I just lost the entire post I wrote because I included a link and haven't been registered for 7 days yet.

OK briefly again...Caleb, also google Catholic Charities, they also provide tons of resources for people in your situation and there are a lot of CC offices in Ohio.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would agree that the Salvation Army would be a great place to start. They have the resources to help you get on your feet. There is always hope!
Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Caleb and congrats on getting out and on your efforts in sobriety. I'll echo what the others said....Salvation Army, AA, Catholic Charities can all be a source of support. Most importantly don't take a drink or a drug and go from there.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would also suggest Salvation Army, or any local outreach group. Just hanging around those places links you up with other outreach groups.

Talk to people during slow times especially.

Don't be afraid to talk about it with your parole / probation officer. They can be an amazing resource and they can link you with resources.

See if you can finangle a bus pass out of some group, or if you can apply online for your ID. You'll need ID to get hooked up with some government services.

In the meantime, hold your head up and be proud. You've been sober for a year and you're healthier and clearer headed than many many other drinkers out there. You've got a big step ahead

The living situation will get sorted out. Keep asking for help. You'll get it. People are good.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

here's a link for the Salvation Army, Calebr
The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center: Rehabilitation Program

D