Notices

oldie but a newbie

Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oldie but a newbie

Hi all,

Have been reading about you all for about a year, i am feeling so undone by this, I can't believe that my problem is this bad, I have taken some control I think, in not drinking during the week, but still on weekends, have been drinking pretty much every day for about 25 years, am now 52 and am starting to have niggling health issues, and i think that is all I really want to say for now, I'll just wait to see what response I get.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ok people's I need a reply, that took a lot of balls on my part ( and I don"t have any) to actually post this, and i know it's only been about 5 minutes, but it has taken me a year to get to this stage and I need some response. I will take any reply Just an acknowledgement would be good ( do they have spell check on this thing)
Old 11-26-2010, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Joyboy

Welcome
I think you'll get a good response - you'll find a lot of understanding and support here

I will say tho - those niggling health issues don't get any better - they get worse...

It's in your best interests to quit now - the sooner you quit, the more chance you have of having no major long term health issues.

D
Old 11-26-2010, 03:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you been to an AA meeting? You will meet lots of people just like you...and you can recover from alcoholism there:-)
Old 11-26-2010, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey Joyboy,

I think most people with a problem find it unbelievable that it can be happening to them. It is a pretty hard shock in one's life. For me, associating with others going through similar experiences has been helpful in realizing my own problem is just a normal part of having a particular kind of illness. It's bizarre alone, but easier in groups. So I'm glad you finally decided to say something.

And I agree with Dee, heavy drinking only makes medical problems worse and makes none better. Have you been able to talk to a doctor about your problems as well as how you drink?

Welcome,

-Isa
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thank you, I have asked the doctor, but they are very dismissive of drinking, I have high blood pressure, and all I was told to do was lose 5 kilo's , this is making me question a lot of what the doctors have done and told me in the past, in out and thank you very much.
I am very aware of the problems of my drinking,and the consequences BUT everything settles down and I give myself permission to go again, the heart says no but the head says yes
Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and to dee and carol, you do a wonderful job ladies
Old 11-26-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually... Dee is a guy!

Welcome to the best recovery site everywhere!! If your own doctor is 'dismissive' of your drinking problem, go to another. Or go to the local ER at the hospital for help in getting thru the withdrawal. Once you've detoxed, get some help to stay sober, be it AA, another program, counseling - just do something to work on your recovery every day.

I rely on my AA home group a couple times a month, my wonderful addiction counselor, and this caring supportive site.

I'm coming up on a year sober next month, after struggling for the last three years, getting sober, then relapsing, over and over. But now I'm finally free of this addiction, I'm out of the trap, I'm living a happy life. And you can too!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ooops, sorry dee, you do a wonderful job
don't have a problem wirh withdrawal, it's not been an issue, but do have a few other problems,mainly digestive,maybe swollen liver , can get very uncomfortable at times, stop drinking, and give up the diet coke and all settles down after a few days, but am aware I have a big issue with the amount I drink, and have done for a lot of years, it was always tomorrow i would take care of it, well tomorrow has come, in spades
Old 11-26-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

The main thing a doctor ought to do is give you a thorough check-up to assess health problems, especially those that could be threatening. It stinks that they are dismissive of your drinking, maybe they slept through that part of their training. But I think Least said it well, if they're not giving the attention to the drinking itself that you feel you deserve then you're not getting total medical treatment.

You're definitely not the only one who decided to tackle drinking at a later time, I did that too. But the bright side is the sooner you take to quitting the sooner things start getting worse and what can heal will start to do so.

Most people who have success stopping find it takes more than just a decision to stop. Most people need some sort of support or a regiment to follow. AA has been suggested and that's something I do too. But this site can help you with other resources too.

Things might've built up to a hard place, but people have beaten greater odds before. You can do it if you want it.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Journey of Recovery

JB, I was 50 when I stopped drinking. It is never too late. It was not when I drank or how much but what happened to me when I drank. Which is I never knew what would happen. And you can quit before you lose everything including your health. You don't have to do it along though.

I chose to find my journey through AA. I have been sober over a year and have never felt better or as free as Least said. Welcome to SR!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome joyboy, kudos for finally deciding to post, that is a great first step. I would definitely switch Dr.s if you know it is the alcohol causing your problems. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for opening up joyboy. I'm 52 and both an oldie yet newbie as well....from my experience "controlling" my drinking didn't work, and didn't change the fact that I am an alcoholic.

Your doctor was very wrong to dismiss your drinking, an admission like that should have thrown up red flags for him...I think most people who drink a lot are more likely to hide that fact from their doctors, not reveal it. You need a thorough medical check up. Baseline liver functioning just involves a simple blood test, and a blood test can reveal a lot about your health.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're not satisfied with your Dr's response - and frankly I wouldn't be - it might be worthwhile finding another medico joyboy?

D