Notices

Staying Sober on Thanksgiving

Old 11-27-2010, 07:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
din
~ still a believer ~

Nothing like a sober day with my inlaws to get the addictive voice rowdy
omg you summed that up! lol

found myself on the pity pot a bit early on in the evening...........then read, and remembered I do have a choice (not only to drink or not...but how I present myself............how I enter a room)
next thing I knew I was having a ball with my granddaughter (who turned 3 on thanksgiving) and realizing.....................how lit I would have been / was before on her (and my) special days.

the (crap) tries slipping back into my brain later (as they all sat playing cards and drinking)............and I thought......the day has been good, lets just end on a good note and go to bed.

and as I lay there (right before I went to sleep) I thanked god for my blessings, realized the day WAS good.........
because ANY day I have sober.....IS a good day!!!

thanks for being here SR)))
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for sharing! My Thanksgiving held its fair share of temptation for me, particularly when family members put drinks in front of me without asking because in past years, I would have gladly accepted anything anytime! I kept my composure but I did have a few minutes of whiny internal dialogue about how "it's not faaaair." The relatives who were there all have a very healthy relationship with alcohol, and I envied that. But they quickly moved on from talking about how tasty the drinks were. I didn't notice it at the time, but we were also talking about how tasty the appetizers were. I could fully share in that experience! I also found a bottle of sparkling grape juice and enjoyed it.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

hang in there Chris - if I've learned one thing it's that there's no times so rough a drink won't make them worse.

Lean on your friends for support.

D