Notices

Need support and encouragement

Old 11-24-2010, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need support and encouragement

Hi everyone,

I am very nervous about tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be 3 days away from being 90 days sober But I am going to be with my family for Thanksgiving and this is the first time I will be with them sober. They all drink and this is a very big trigger for me. I am just looking for words of support and encouragement that 90 days is an accomplishement and why I should keep staying sober. I will keep them in my mind to get me through tomorrow.

Thank you all, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Theresa
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS on 90 days sober! I hope I can say the same three months from now!

I hope your family is supportive in helping you maintain sobriety. Ultimately it's your choice though...I have confidence you will make the right choice.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Gr8t, as the saying goes...play the tape back. Remember why you are here and don't ever forget what brought you here. 90 days is HUGE. Don't throw that away. And remember, once we start, the cycle usually ends up repeating itself. Good luck! I hope and pray you have a Happy and very sober Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Just keep the plug in the jug, you've come a long way and its not worth flushing it down the toilet. You don't want to go back to the way it was before, I know I don't. You can do it, its all up to you. If you're offered any booze just say no thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is there a dog around? If there is offer to walk the dog if you feel you need to get away for a few minutes (weather permitting of course). Walking my dog always gets me out of my own mind. This is part of my plan tomorrow for sure.

Do you do AA? Can you bring the book with you and slip away to read parts of it if you need to? How about slipping out for a meeting if you need to? Another part of my plan with my NA book and meetings.

Have access to a computer? Check in to SR!!

Plan tonight what you might do if triggered tomorrow. Don't let yourself be surprised by it.

But first and foremost....remember that you don't have to take that first drink.

Congratulations on your upcoming 90 days! Keep that in sight and hold it tight!

Wishing you and all a Happy and sober Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, if you can check in her that would be a good idea.

And, taking breaks from your family could help too.

I hope you enjoy your weekend!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I remember the first holiday after I got sober, and I was determined - but it was still a bit uncomfortable. After the first time, though, it gets so much easier. I was so concerned about what to say to everyone, and it ended up being no big deal. Be proud of yourself for facing the holidays sober - and won't you feel great when there are no hangovers or regrets? We'll be thinking of you.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep in the forefront of your mind the reasons why you got sober in the first place. And how good you'll feel the next morning(s) when others are a bit 'under the weather'. Ninety days is a huge accomplishment, don't throw it away for any reason. I have faith that you can do it.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Print out your first post (or this post) and put it in your pocket, like a reminder or a good luck charm.... Think about how you'll be waking up Friday morning with a clear head, no headache or anxiety or guilt. Think about being a living example of sobriety. Take a book with you to read and get your mind off things. Eat a lot!

Those are just a few that come to mind. I'm going to have Thanksgiving with "normal" drinkers, but for me to even think about drinking just a couple is not really appealing. What's the point? I'm proud of my sobriety today, and you should be too.