Notices

struggling again............

Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling again............

ugh.. well, here we ago again after 90 days clean. relapse lasted about 3 weeks on and off this time. have 3 days now, feel like crap and real low. Started with the NA meetings again yesterday and went to eat after the one tonite. Luckily, I have some good friends in the program. When I hear how much time they have now,(1 year, 6 years, 24 years) it's like-- why bother again. The real interesting part was that things were starting to get better for me, still in school, moved into new place.. etc.... But, I have to try again, nevertheless........ thanks for reading.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Just keep your head up, we all have fallen of the hoarse before. We just have to get up, brush ourselves off and get back on and keep riding. You can do it bro.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back with us Pete
It took me 15 years to really get it for me - never give up, mate.

Look at what happened and why - make plans for next time, add things to whatever you've been doing - then move forward again.
D
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pete I am glad you are back too Look, some folks may have many years sober/clean and in the beginning for me after I relapsed....well it looked like such a far away place.

While I am nowheres near years of recovery, etc. I am at the top of the world in my life in terms of how far I have come.

Don't compare yourself to others as you are doing great. Also realize that it takes many of us.....several attempts and years of trying to finally get it down and doing it right.

Glad you are back and know you can do this!!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're certainly not alone...like most here, I've been on and off that damn wagon countless times. Know how lousy it feels. ((Pete))
But you HAVE to keep getting up and moving forward. When we have an addiction, there's really no other good choice.
I have found in the past that having good things happen in my life can also be triggers to start drinking again. Maybe that's something you can watch out for in the future?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

why bother again

Why bother?? Because with practice and patience and faith you too can stay clean! Never give up! It took me most of two years to finally 'get it' and stay sober. And I was a chronic relapser! So if I can make it, so can you.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not how many times you fall that count.

It's how many times you get back up that do.

Sobriety is having the second statement +1 over the first.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im still getting the
program at 20 yrs.

Focus on YOU because
YOU are that important.

We all are.!
Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Pete,
You wrote:
"When I hear how much time they have now,(1 year, 6 years, 24 years) it's like-- why bother again."

That sounded like you wanted to catch up? I thought they were your friends? And you are using the word try a lot.

If you got 90 days you sure can get them again.

If you haven't gotten it yet, you will eventually, but why wait and see friends get really sober for life and feel left behind.

I had a professor in college who got a position offered at Harvard. Our school was not nearly as prestigious. He was very popular and effective teacher. When the news got out many students cried and begged him not to leave them. He said something I remember to this day. He asked if he stayed, would each of those students forego graduation and stay in school with him for several extra years, or would they move on in life and leave him behind?

Isn't it about time you left some of your friends behind and moved on to join your other friends? Or would you prefer they relapse and join you?

I don't feel any less at two months and a few days than the folks with years of sobriety, because we all who get it, are still doing one day at a time. Forgive yourself, but never forget yourself.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the posts back my friends. yeah, still hanging in there, but it's now hard as hell, from the recent relapse. really wanting to drink again..
Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plug yourself securely into all the support networks you have Pete. You can do this

D
Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hang in there, Pete. I've been off the booze a little while now, but had a pot relapse about 3 years ago--just quit last weekend. Stick close to those friends with some sober time! Before you know it, you will be one of the ones the newcomers look to and think, "Wow! I want what he has!"