Notices

I have an alcohol problem

Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an alcohol problem

Once I start drinking I can't stop, and I have been doing things I regret or I will black out. I've decided I need help because I told myself I wouldn't drink last weekend and I got wasted. I am not sure what to do.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

There are a multitude of things you can do, all sorts of recovery programs out there. I like you couldn't stop drinking on my own, no matter how I tried, how many promises I made; I always failed/relapsed. I personally chose AA. Don't get me wrong I was very reluctant to walk into AA. I really didn't know what to expect and i didn't really think that I was that bad. I expected to see the type of people you see on the streets; the old man wearing the dirty overcoat that drinks his booze out of a brown bag. Boy was I wrong, I was a pretty bad drinker and the people are just normal folks. I chose AA for 2 reasons, one its free and two it worked for my mother in-law. Like I said I could not stop.drinking on my own no matter how hard I tried, I'm going on 11 months sober now. That's proof that the program of AA works if you work it. I wish you luck on your journey to sobriety. I forgot to mention, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. You already have that, so why not give it a try.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I completely agree with john ^^^^^^
And I can relate to your story crazyness. I also cannot control my intake, and cannot follow through on promises I make to myself about not drinking. I quit drinking for a little bit on sheer willpower alone, but I had huge anxiety, and ended up back in the same boat. Today begins my 3rd week in AA and it has helped me tremendously. I feel way more peaceful this time. I hope you try it!!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, crazyness - We've all been where you're at, not able to quit drinking and wondering why. Alcohol had a real grip on me, too, and I made lots of promises to quit that I didn't keep. It's scary to think about living without that drink at first, but if you take it one day at a time or one moment at a time and get lots of support you can do it too.

We're here for you, so keep posting and reading!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi crazyness

I think most of us ended up at the point you did. or past it even.

For me it was very important to accept I couldn't drink anymore, and be prepared to do whatever it took to stick to that decision.

Some find forums like this are enough, but most people find a recovery programme like AA or SMART helpful in keeping them sober, others try counselling too.

I recommend you see your Dr as a first step if you've been drinking heavily for a while, whether it's binge drinking or daily. Detox can sometimes be rough for some of us.

I know you'll find a lot of support here - welcome!
D
Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Crazyness -- every time I drank it was a game of chance. Sometimes I'd be able to stop myself at a few drinks, but a good portion of the time I would plan to just have a couple and then whoaa ten hours later who knows what. And sometimes I would plan not to drink at all and then still end up somehow changing my mind. I applaud you for taking this brave step by coming and posting here.

For me, the first and most necessary thing was to dump all the booze in my house and cancel any plans I had to be anywhere NEAR alcohol for the foreseeable future. Here you will find people who have taken all kinds of approaches, from AA to counseling to behavioral therapy or intensive use of this forum, SR. A plan of recovery is definitely the major step toward success. Doing it alone never worked for me -- what did was a mixture of counseling, journal-keeping, reading books on recovery, and using this website daily.

Again, glad to see you here.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too would suggest seeing your doctor for help in getting safely thru the withdrawals. AFter you've detoxed, find yourself a method for staying sober, whether it be AA or another program, or counseling, or whatever.

I started off with intensive AA mtgs, along with counseling and this site, now rely on my home group mtgs a couple times a month, my counselor, and SR.

I couldn't stop drinking either. Kept trying and failing for nearly two years. Finally got to my breaking point and stubbornly (at first) stayed sober out of desperation and fear of relapse, then discovered kindness and gratitude to replace the habit of drinking... and it worked... I'm coming up on a year sober next month and am happier than I've ever been.

And I was a chronic relapser... so if I can do it, so can you!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. Two things I found useful were to see a Dr. and go to AA.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Crazy,
I agree with all of the above but need to make clear what I mean by that.

You have tried the same thing over and over and it isn't working then or now for you. All of the above is new to you as in things you haven't tried yet. All involve letting another (your doc) or others (AA members) and perhaps even your family know so you have a full support group. And guess what, even the ones that won't offer support are a great find as well. Because later in your sobriety you won't be disappointed by them.

I can tell you that as long as you are hiding the extent of your problems, and keep doing the same thing over and over that failed in the past, your outcome is certain.

All of the above involve doing something different.

If you won't confide in your doc all the way then go to an AA meeting and even if it is not for you they can point you to the resources in your community that only locals know about.

Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results, is insanity.

We all have experienced that insanity. Some of us decided to try what we refused before. And for many of us, with different recovery programs each, it worked.

Join us if you want, it is up to you.