Notices

Substituting caffeine for alcohol

Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Substituting caffeine for alcohol

Did anyone else do this? I was a habitual coffee drinker anyway but it's really escalated since I quit drinking. Caffeine at night only makes things worse because I'm accustomed to a depressant and I replaced it with a stimulant. Biologically, this makes no sense! It's making me really agitated. I need to get it through my head that this is a terrible strategy.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That can;t be good for your anxiety levels, WTS

D
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's pretty common. I know I drink a lot more coffee now. I also notice I'm eating a lot more sugary food and drinking caffeine free tea. I think it has to do with your body craving the sugar you used to get from alcohol.

I've also been told that taking any kind of drug will cause us to release more serotonin than is normal. Our bodies are missing those serotonin levels we used to get while we were using and we seek out ways to get them back up. And that's one of the reasons we will drink coffee more often. Another activity that will help boost serotonin is exercise.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WatchTheSky

Exactly the same for me. My consumption of coffee increased to about 15 cups per day when I first quit. I think I just needed something to keep me going. I now drink decaf tea and coffee and to be honest haven't really missed it

Downster
Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm probably still trying to feel good in any way I can.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'm drinking way more coffee and diet soda than I ever did. As much as I know I need to cut back, I'm being gentle with myself about it, because hey, at least I'm not drinking right?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too increased my coffee consumption way too much and am having to cut back on it as it makes my anxiety horrible. But if I have to choose between the two evils - wine or coffee - I'll take the coffee any time!

Substitute decaf for those extra cups you're having.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe tea at nighttime would help with the sleeping etc?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Dang, downster. 15 cups of coffee. I'd be on the toilet all day.

Transition to decaf, maybe, WTS? I'm bad about drinking caffinated beverages at night. I'd really like to stop drinking artificially sweetened stuff, though. Sometimes it makes me feel weird.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drink as many non-alcoholic beverages as you like...are you doing anything about your alcoholism, i.e. program of recovery?
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi WTS,
How i kicked my coffee addiction...kinda. Well, I was sober and got into a serious exercise regiment during this past summer. After years of hating the stuff, i forced myself to drink water. It didn't happen overnight, but i actually really like it now. However, much like my snobby alcohol choices, i have become addicted to Fugi h2o. Doubt me if you want, it does taste better, and picked it twice in a row when confronted with a taste test by a friend. Additionally, i gave my fancy starbucks coffee maker to my youngest rug rat. Some mornings I will brew a cup of tea...bought some high end teas at a specialty store where they also taught the proper ways to brew. So i'm down to like two starbucks a week...soy lattie with a double shot to satisfy the addict in me. Seriously, try some Fugi at night...no hangover!
Carlos
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
......But if I have to choose between the two evils - wine or coffee - I'll take the coffee any time!
Yeah, I'd agree. Go easy on yourself, focus on how well you've done with the alcohol this far. Maybe reduce your caffeine intake gradually as there are 'withdrawals' like headaches if you stop abruptly. Replacing one every day with something else like decaf or herbal teas?
Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep, I have gone from 2 cups in the morning to 3 and then 3 more in the early afternoon! UGH! Better than the alternative for me, for now.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi WatchTheSky,

Yes, when I first got sober last year I'd go to the local discount wholesaler and buy fake (cheap) diet coke 12 litres at a time. That would last a day or two. No idea why... it just seemed like a very necessary distraction at the time.

These days I still need a drink in hand most of the time during sober periods but decaf coffee or decaf tea seems just as effective, 10 or so cups a day....
Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes I drink waaaaay more coffee now, but I am not beating myself up over it. I don't get to sleep a lot with my schedule, and coffee is way better than booze!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Strangely, I cut out coffee about a year ago. I used to drink it heavily but the worse my alcohol drinking became, the more I noticed myself sick in the morning if I drank coffee in the morning. So, I cut it out and that stopped. Now I feel just ill thinking about either. Peppermint tea is what I've been drinking like it's going out of style.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i used to dislike water too....now I am a Smart-water snob....it has a clean, crisp taste compared to the others, (a bit cheaper than the Fuji)
Old 11-23-2010, 10:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, everybody! Good to know I'm not the only one. My dad started smoking again in order to quit drinking, so at least I didn't go back to smoking. I'm not being too hard on myself about the coffee intake. It's just that the agitation is getting hard to tolerate. Thankfully I love water too! I should go back to my tea habit. The last time I tried to get sober, I drank about 8 cups of tea a night. Most of those were decaf. That would be a good choice again. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Fandy, thanks for that Smart tip...Smart water, it has a nice snobby sound to it...& most of all congrats on the > 9 months sober!!
Old 11-23-2010, 01:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The Last Legal High. For me anyway.