Notices

hi, i'm new

Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pure as the driven snow

hi, i'm new

please forgive me if this isn't allowed. i just thought i'd share why i'm here with you guys. ^_^

so hello! i'm candace. that is not my real name. i'm 26 years old. i started using amphetamines when i was 14. that continued until i was about 20. i was using around four or five times a day injecting large amounts of amphetamines. smoked lots of weed too. occasionally i'd do heroin and benzos but they were never really a problem for me. anyway my boyfriend and i slowed right down gradually and i find that now speed just makes me really cranky, but in the last six months or so i've developed quite a taste for dxm and it's started to take over my life.

it seems that all the trips are bad these days and my whole week is always just me robotripping and i can't keep up with other aspects of life. so for the billionth time in my life i've decided to clean up my act.

i'll be happy if i can even last a month.

any uh... tips for staying positive would be lovely. i'm naturally a very negative bitter person. lol ^___^

xox
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pure as the driven snow

thank you! i found this place accidentally tonight while googling up things related to dxm. found some thread by... onewing... something. lol
Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...you'll find lots of support and guidance here. Have you thought about seeking help through your doctor or Narcotics Anonymous? Both could be very helpful as you're trying to quit the substances. Keep posting here and let us know how you're doing.

Stephanie
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pure as the driven snow

i have not thought about doing those things... yet. but i've been seeing a psychologist for a while. actually, truth be told i just cancelled an appointment with her and didn't make a new one. >_< i think sometimes i actually enjoy being in a hole.

in 2008 i was really depressed and drinking every day for about six months and i started going to alcoholics anonymous. i think my problem though was i was just horribly depressed. i've not tried narcotics anonymous though. i think i had a look online and they don't have one in my town.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Others on this site dealing with the same issue:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...addiction.html
Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Candace

Welcome to SR

I know you'll find a lot of support here, and a few of our members have similar stories to yours.

I have no experience with DXM myself but there are a few threads dealing with this in our substance abuse forum, so I hope you'll check that forum out too.

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Whatever the drug I really believe that the way out of the cycle is change and action - maybe a good first step is to see your doctor, or at least try and reconnect with that psychologist?

D
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Candice. I, too, had a "thing" for amphetamines, namely crystal. Smoked enough $$$ to buy a house over the years, now I have no teeth left due to "meth mouth".

My best advice is to see a doctor as soon as you can. Not to put down psychologists, but they never helped me much, except drain my credit card.

NA is great, I find it more fitting to my addictive personality than AA. Yes, I'm and addict/ alcoholic. Whatever it is, give me enough, and I'll want it all the time.

Meth was easy for me to put down, I broke the pipe and never looked back. I just wish alcohol was that easy. Had 3 years sober, thought I could just have one drink a day; back to one bottle a day the very next day. It's not easy, I need a support group, which I found here, and at an NA meeting, and with my good friends. My "party buddies" all wrote me off a long time ago, so "F" them.

DXM is Doxamine, right? Nasty stuff, has a long half life. Like Valium, you need more each day to stay "up there", just like alcohol. Now, we can't give medical advice, so this is just my experience. My detox from drinking was so bad, my DR. gave me some Xanax. It has a very short half life, and I was able to stop in one week. It's now 82 days sober and clean for me. It's not going to be easy, but you can do it. Living life sober is so refreshing for me now. I'm not going back. Keep in touch.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Candance,

Welcome!

If you think you are depressed, it might be a good idea to talk to your dr. It's hard to know what came first, the chicken or the egg, but for me, I was depressed for many years before I began to self-medicate with alcohol. Bad idea! Or, it could be that your depression lifts when you stop using drugs.

I hope you continue to read and post.