Notices

Looked at my diary today.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Looked at my diary today.

Hi All

I’ve just looked in my diary Jan 1st 2010 – It states
I want to give up drinking completely and I want to see what I’m capable of.

And here I am 22nd November 2010, have I given up drinking? Not really sure, all I know is I’ve managed to get through the last five days without any alcohol. Looking back through the diary there aren’t any other five days without drink mentioned…….

You see up until Thursday last week, I drank wine every day. I watched for the clock to reach the magic number 6pm. There’s always wine in the freezer cooling down, husbands already started for the evening, most nights he’ll have his beer followed by his wine (red, so always at room temp, no waiting for him). I’ve given up church, hillwalking, photography, going to the gym and seeing friends. I won’t even pick up the kids if they’re out for the evening….they can cycle or get the bus, after all I can’t drink and drive!!!

I thought I was ok, after all what’s a couple of bottles a night, all it means is I can’t sleep and after all what’s the point being sober. I don’t like myself anyway! Then it hit me, why don’t I like myself, why aren’t I able to take control and see just what I am capable of? Perhaps in time I’ll find the answers, one thing I’m starting to realise is that those answers aren’t at the bottom of yet another empty bottle.

Tonight I’ll raise a glass (of orange juice) and thank God for new friends and ask for his strength to help me stay sober.
Take care all – thanks for listening, thanks for understanding.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zuri,

Welcome!

I had given up all my activities and my friends too, by the time I stopped drinking. I had isolated myself so that I could drink every night. Please know that you can do this and we are here to offer support.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
part time member

Perhaps in time I’ll find the answers, one thing I’m starting to realise is that those answers aren’t at the bottom of yet another empty bottle.
So True...Welcome Zuri to SR. 5 days is a great start. You will never know if you completely give up drinking so in the meantime don't drink today. Lots of information and help on this website.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi Zuri! Sounds like you have a lot of great reasons to stop drinking. I'm glad you've made the decision. We all do understand, so please feel free to ask us for help!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Zuri

By the end my little one room apartment was my world - not nearly big enough is it?
good to have you with us

D
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi Zuri, and Welcome!
I was an evening wine drinker, too. I couldn't even concentrate on reading the book I had in my hand.

Great to have you on board - make your New Year's Resolution come true this year.

Vee
Old 11-22-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Thankyou all for your welcome and encouragement. Its 11.30pm here and I can't sleep (usually sparko by now!), so thought I'd share my day....I went for a walk this afternoon - took the dogs to my favourite place, walked through the woods listening to Greenday - Give Me Novacaine (kind of an anthem over the last few years). Got through the woods and then out onto the cliffs, finally down onto the beach. By this time I'm listening to Aerosmith - I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing. Got home, picked my daughter up from school, baked our Christmas cake, cooked the evening meal....And I didn't have a drink! but now I would love just one glass to get me off to sleep.

PS - Stupid question, but is it normal for my hands neck and face to be so itchy?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hi Zuri! I don't know anything about the itchy. I haven't experienced that. But ..I was a major wine drinker. Cheap stuff...Carlo Rossi Sangria. Half gallon a night for a long time. Enhanced by either beer (beer if I was at home) and if I was out and about I would do whiskey..then come home and do my wine. NEVER got sick. Suffered thru some bad hangovers tho. And I really do understand the isolation. You don't want to drink and drive. So you just stay home. The cops won't come pull you out of your home!! Long story short....I finally got REALLY sick of it. Started getting really bad panic/anxiety attacks. Scared me straight. I stopped 8/22/10 made it all the way thru to 10/3. Won't go into the details but was at a party and there began my moderation theory experiment. Within no time flat I was back up to drinking mass quanities again..even more sometimes. I finally just got scared and quit. Been alcohol free since 10/28/10 and this is my last date. I will have this sobriety date the rest of my life. I am a bit of a chickensh!t and started reading on all the effects alcohol has on our health. It should be banned. It is a silent killer. It makes me SICK to think of what I have done to my body. Anyway..glad you joined us ..please check in often. We like to help!!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember being pretty itchy for a few days yeah...

and sleep can be problematic for a while...but it's worth perservering...I slept badly for about 10 years when drinking...95% of the time now I sleep like a baby

D
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Zuri thought I answered this this afternoon, guess I didn't.

I picked the name itchy because of my whole body drying out, dandruff the works. 60 days later still itching but much better, slowly going away for me. That was sudden onset after detox.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Thanks Itchy - I thought I was getting paranoid, as for sleep Dee I know that feeling....sparko after a few drinks then waking up at three in the morning and that was it till the next morning, so this business of not getting to sleep (finally at 2.30am this morning) is really wierd! MsCooterBrown love your signature. I have a freind who tells me something similar. Ah well..off to face the day
Thanks guys for being here
Old 11-23-2010, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Zuri and congrats for choosing to get out of the vicious cycle. When I got sober, I was surprised to find that I liked me much, much better that way. It took a week or so to get a good sleep, but even with a few hours the mornings felt so good - no hangover...

Take it one day at a time and when you get an urge, come and post before you pick up that drink. Good to have you here!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WElcome to the family and to a whole new, better life - sober!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

Wasn't sure where else to post an update.........

After 59 days sober, on 15th Jan thought I could have a night out (drink GnT) not my usual tipple and as I was out, well there wouldn’t be any associations, so it was going to be fine.

Fast forward 2 weeks it was a Saturday night (29th January) I said to my OH “I’d love to have a drink, I reckon after 59 days sober I can control it and it would be lovely to only have a drink once a week” So had a bottle of wine (in the house, my usual) then another one.

The following night it was another two bottles, and the same the night after that. Since that first bottle of wine I’ve only been sober for two days on the run.

It’s now 5.45pm 12th February and I’ve turned the house upside down looking for wine and all I can find is a dribble at the bottom of a bottle and boy am I peed off because I know I want more…a lot more. OH is still at the Rugby Club, so will be coming in soon half cut! It would be so easy to join him. Thing is I know there’s an AA meeting in my town tonight (small town there’s bound to be familiar faces, pretty scary) so the question is do I continue to fool myself into thinking I’m in control and find that bottle or do I go and seek help and admit that I am an alcoholic
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me, I'd go seek help. You can't keep living from bottle to bottle. It gets old fast and so do we. I hope this can be a new fresh start to a sober life for you.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Questions and answers. The mystery is solved. Your first post and your last post tells me one thing. Between the two posts, you did "one thing" which has resulted in three months of drinking. Soak it all in because when you do arrest this addiction of ours, you will want that mental ammunition that feeds your commitment to a life of freedom. No sense in letting a good lesson go to waste! Make it pay you back, by working for you on your journey.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ste
unlearning

Hoping and praying you do what you know is right, understanding it won't be easy.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Zuri - I hope you do the best thing for yourself and
get to a meeting tonight. It is going to be difficult
to shut down that alcoholic voice in your head but
it is doable. That endless cycle is so painful and so
dangerous and I know it well. Is there somebody that
you could call that would be safe to be with you to
support you not drinking until the time of that meeting?
Freedom is right there for you, please reach out and
grab it. It seems like you are having a moment
of clarity and I hope you act on it!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you made a good choice for yourself Zuri

D
Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
back again 11/09/2011

I'm just back from my first meeting....exhausted, but just wanted to let you know before I go to bed