Notices

Help me if you can I'm feeling down.....

Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help me if you can I'm feeling down.....

As the Beatles once sang.

Hi all. I'm really struggling today (Even more than usual) and had a strong urge to drink earlier to end this nightmare I've been living. I'm nearly a 100 days sober but I'm just feeling awful. Symptoms include

Extreme tiredness
Very Low mood
Anger
Excessive hunger (I can't stop eating)

I really hoped that after this long into sobriety that I would start to feel better but I just don't. I am making an appointment with my GP tomorrow to discuss how I'm feeling and am seriously considering asking for a course of anti-depressants. I'm not a big fan of these but I feel I just need a kick-start to help me over the next few months.

I have a few good days where I finally think i'm 'on the mend' and then 'wham' it hits me like a 'ton of bricks'. I don't know what else to try and am really struggling at the moment. I don't think i've got another recovery in me after what I've been through on this attempt.

Can anybody give me some advice? Particularly interested to hear if anyone has tried anti-depressants to treat the symptoms i've had

Sorry it couldn't be a more cheerful post today

Cheers

Downster
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

can you go for a walk, and take in the what the day has to offer, even if its around the block?...how about taking a book outside and read for 1/2 hr?....
Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I already exercise as much as I can. I started running 5km a day when I first quit alcohol
Old 11-21-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I can relate, I've been feeling down lately myself. For me I think I just need to become more spiritual and get out of myself. I know that when I start to feel down its usually because things arent going my way. I have to constantly remind myself that I am not in control but that His is and he has things the way they are for a reason. I couldn't give you advice on the anti-depressants just because I didn't want to try them. I was recommended them but being that I'm already recovering from two addictions, I'm afraid of getting hooked or dependant of the drugs. I hope all goes well for you and i wish you luck on getting over this hump.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd say maybe see your doctor for your low-angry-unhappy mood. I take meds for my depression/anxiety/etc and they help a lot, also my weekly counseling sessions help a lot too.

It's very normal to feel so up and down early on, and 100 days is still a bit early in recovery... But do see your doctor if the feelings persist or get worse.

I love the Beatles!!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks least.

My conundrum is not knowing whether I am just being impatient (100 days is not long compared to 10 years of alcohol abuse) or whether there is a more worrying underlying issue that requires treatment.

Am i depressed beacuse I drink (or drank) or do I drink because i'm depressed. Classic chicken and egg here!

Should I seek 'Help' or should I 'Let it be'? Bit of a Beatles theme going on in my head today!

Cheers

Downster
Old 11-21-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It certainly won't hurt to seek help.

If you think your mood may affect your sobriety, I'd pick up the phone asap.

Glad you are here!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Antidepressants may very well help, but that's between you and your physician. Do you have a program of recovery? That may really help as well. Good for you!! 100 days! That's a really good start. Early sobriety is tough no matter what. Keep reaching out, we need each other, even after 100 days!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you are saying. I used to bury all my emotions and feelings in drink. When I got sober I had to learned to deal with life for the first time in years. What really helped me was my program of recovery. I learned that when I got out of "myself" and help others I started to feel much better about myself. My sponsor (AA) had me work on a gratitude list daily so I would not forgot all the things I had to be grateful for.

Congrats on your decision to be sober and having 100 days under your belt. As long as we stay sober it will get better!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Downster,
Glad you are seeing the Doc. I am also glad to hear that you are having three of four days being good. I am only at 60 days and while it isn't feeling down that is one of my longer term issues, I do have several that are taking longer than I wanted. So much for MY immediate gratification issue.

But I'd like to thank you for your post, because it does relate to my own sober future and adjustments. I read the article about PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms, and that along with posts like yours give me the patience to hang in there and to see my doc about the remaining frustrating issues too. Mine will just involve bloodwork to make sure my continuing dehydration is not something else rearing its head.

Do what you need to do but keep hollering back with a reality check for those of us behind you. And do please post back with what happened.

You posted what I needed to hear, not necessarily what I wanted to hear. Makes it easier to expect longer term recovery than two weeks and 100% recovered, which we all expect deep down.

I have revised my recovery estimate to 6 months to 2 years to get to whatever passes for 100% for me. That is a good thing. Anything sooner is serendipity. I also do medical checks as needed.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely think a talk with your Dr would be a good idea Downster

D
Old 11-21-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Downster, good on ya for 100 days!

I remember around 100 days I was feeling like you describe. and others here mentioned reading up on PAWS.

For me it turned out I was way down on iron after a doctor visit. Started some multi vitamins and yikes do I ever feel good.

Like everyone said above, give your doctor a call.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have about the same amount of sobriety as you Downouter. I've been down lately too, but I seriously think that it is this time of year that is getting me down. I have a hard time with the darkness that now starts at 5pm. Not sure where you live, but that may be something to think about and talk to your GP about.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
31/10/10

downster - sorry to hear you are down when your beatles-mania made me smile. All I can emphasize is: please check vitamins, PAWS and a program of recovery. I know my program is helping me lots. vee
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hope you get your feet back on the ground ...
Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dang, now that song is stuck in my head, LOL

Downster, I only have 81 days (after relapsing from 3 years sober) and I know your dilemina. What I do is get busy. I clean my place up, wash the car and wax it, go and splurge on a movie. Yeah, I love eating, too, but that can be done healthy. I look for new places and try them out. I come here and read and read and read, there are a lot of posts here from people like us. And my job keeps me busy.

And, my weekly NA meeting is a "biker" meeting. We have a really nice group that goes on weekend rides together, or just an afternoon get together pot luck thing. Support is key. Without support, I would be back at day one for the 51'st time. Be strong, it's your life that is at stake.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Prayers sent: when faced with indicision we should pause and pray and wait for the right intuitive thought and action is what the big book tell me. I am sure there is a plan for your recovery without these symptoms.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks all

Booked an appointment with the GP on Thursday (Earliest i could get) and will ask him to subscribe some mild anti-depressants to help me through the next few months. I really hoped that by the end of the year the worst would be behind me but after last week I was beginning to have my doubts. Not a decision i've taken lightly but i'll try anything not to have to go through this again.

I've had a much better day today. Not felt so tired and mood has improved significantly. My mood barometer can be measured by the singing I do in my car on the way to work in the mornings. On a bad day I can't even switch the radio on but this morning it was a full on Bohemian Raphsody Wayne's World style! What a difference a day makes (I feel a song coming on)

Party on!

Thanks again

Downster
Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
pure as the driven snow

at the point i'm at all i can really do is read other people's advice... you're doing about 98 days better than me. =[ good luck. you're doing really well.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better and it's good that you are seeing your dr soon.