Notices

So I need help...

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I need help...

Hi all,
I'm new here. Long story short - I'm a married mom of 3 wonderful kids, great husband, and on the outside, a great looking life. But my secret is that I'm a once a week binge drinker. I can go all week without drinking, but once the idea is in my head to have drinks I can't control it. It's like a compulsion. I realized that when I drink, I'm out of control. I almost always drink til I pass out, and that scares the crap out of me. I've talked to my therapist about this, but she doesn't think I'm an "alcoholic". I know that if I feel like it's causing me a problem, then it's a problem. I'm suffering from a clinical depression, ptsd, major anxiety disorder & post partum depression. My psychiatrist has put me on 3 anti-depressants, and I've been afraid to take them except for Prozac. I've decided that today I will start the other 2 and pray for the best. I apologize for the rambling, but I need some support. God bless you all.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hey Depressedlady,
Welcome to SR. I'm also a mom, with a great husband, great life etc. I was also a binge drinker on antidepressants. And you are absolutely right, if you feel its a problem, then its a problem.
Alcohol is a depressant and your antidepressants will not work while you are drinking. Plus, its dangerous to mix them together.
I think you should try and develop some new habits that can distract you when that urge hits. I'm glad to hear you are going to a therapist. Maybe the two of you can come up with a plan that you can follow when you feel like drinking.
In my experience, as soon as I stopped drinking, started taking my medication, and some vitamins, I felt a whole lot better.
PM me anytime if you want to chat.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

my therapist about this, but she doesn't think I'm an "alcoholic".

Your therapist may not be aware that it's not what you drink, or how much or how often... it's what happens to you when you drink and if it's causing problems in your life.

I was/still am on anti depressants, altho when drinking they didn't work. Now that I'm sober they work just fine and my depression is more manageable.

to our recovery family!
Old 11-20-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting. Lots of support, here.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, I'm glad you're here. I also am diagnosed with clinical depression and I had pretty severe postpartum depression after my son was born 15 years ago. I've taken Prozac on and off for most of that time. Drinking definitely made everything worse for me, and kept the Prozac from working properly.

Whether or not you're an alcoholic isn't necessarily as relevant as the fact that your drinking is interfering with your life and your happiness. If you find you have trouble stopping on your own, you might want to consider trying AA...there is a lot of information here on these boards about AA (look in the 12-Step Support section).

In the meantime, take care of yourself, take your meds, stay in contact with your doctor, and let us know how things go for you. We're here for you and want you to be well.

Stephanie
Old 11-20-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ill start with a joke...get a hobby, find something else to do!

That said...i know a lady in AA and she was a binge drinker, wine,and would drink maybe twice a month...she had the same problem she could not just have a couple (glasses) if she started and would always feel worse after the binge for days full of remourse and guilt!

An alcoholic doesnt have to drink everyday and most i know have great homes, great family and great jobs...the lady i mentioned runs european operations for an international company so forget the park bench and brown bag scenario please!

For quite a time i was a binge drinker...it was like i could get through a certain time, it was almost like seeing how long i could hold my breath...eventually i would need to just get out of my head, away from"things"...a release valve needed to be opened and then i would be ok for a while longer!

In hindsight there was abig hole inside that needed topping up...i felt enorous guilt that it seemed like my faily, jobetcweren't enough to fill it but they never could of looking back so i had to find a way to fill that hole without booze and i found that in AA!

I was clinically depressed and on anti depressants for a short time...like you i was gearful to take them...but when i got help and did the work in AA all this cleared up...i have friends that got sober with a few "problems" in the upstairs department but now their therapist/doc can really see what is up and they take one medication and maintain their sobriety and have great lives...some dont need to take any medication at all anymore!

Once you have recovered from your alcoholism (remember not park bench and brown paper bag) then the rest will slot into place...the cycle of all your problems will always continue until you get help though and definitely it can be this miserable until we die unless we change...

good luck!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcohol is a depressant, and if you are dealing with depression and mood issues, then alcohol will definitely make things worse. I think it's good that you are starting to take the meds the therapist is prescribing. Hopefully they will help you.

I'm glad you are here looking for support.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I will be posting on here as much as I can until I can get this under control. I appreciate all the support!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DepressedLady

I don't think it really matters that much whether others categorise you as a binge drinker or an alcoholic or whatever.

I think the important thing is you do accept your drinking is a problem, and it's great you're here to do something about it.

Welcome

D
Old 11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DL - Lots of people here were binge drinkers and I think we can all relate to the lack of control once we start drinking. Even when I promised myself to stick to a limit or leave the party early, it rarely happened that way.

I agree with the others, that if it's a problem for you, it's a problem. Glad you've joined the forum!!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Depressedlady

I to am a mum of 3 wonderfull girls have a great partner and a fullfilling job, I started off slowly on the social side, then started to binge then it became everyday i could not cope without the booze, I was diagonised as Bipolar in 96 and because of my drinking i had relapses as my meds were not working.
I find SR and AA wonderfull, I am 19 days sober but thats more than i've ever done before.

Keep reading and posting

Nawneet
Old 11-21-2010, 05:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Lady! Glad you are with us and you have our support.

Good info in this thread and I have to repeat that drinking alcohol makes depression worse. Meds won't really work the way they should when we drink so all around stopping is the best thing.

Don't focus on others view of you, etc. If you are unhappy with the actions/consequences of drinking alcohol then you definitely know is best. I could explain my story over and over but I know me better then anyone else and I didn't like myself and my actions when I drank.

Keep it going
Old 11-21-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, Depressedlady:

Just wanted to pop in here and offer my support without reiterating what everyone else has said already. I, too, have a life that looks great on the outside, but inside I have been miserable and deeply sad--that is, until I quit drinking (for good, I hope, but I'm just keeping it in the day) 29 days ago. I also take an antidepressant, an anti-anxiety, and a mood stabilizer, and you know what? They actually work now that I'm not drinking at all. I have no (or minimal) anxiety, even though I'm in grad school and have a tendency to get stressed out. I don't go there anymore, because I do just what's right in front of me for the day--just for today. Tomorrow I can tackle when I get there, but my sobriety is my number one priority, because I know without it, I will eventually lose my marriage, my career, and, most importantly, my self-concept. This disease is progressive; it never gets better, only worse. I have been down that road before, as I am newly sober after a nine-month relapse (after 4 years sober). My tragic flaw was that I was no longer working a program of recovery (AA works for me WHEN I work it).

Best to you. Hang in there!