Notices

Ugh!!! How long does this last?!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh!!! How long does this last?!

Im not a newcomer to aa. But I did recently relapse causing about a month long binge. I went from a few beers a day... right back to where I was, 130 lbs, 5'9 and drinking up to 24 beers a day, or 2 big bottles of wine. The last time I detoxed it was medical, I really didnt feel a thing. Well, this time I decided a different approach, I went cold turkey for a home detox. I did have to taper a tiny bit yesterday to ease my symptoms, but have had only a tiny sip this morning to relieve my shakes. Regardless, I feel like I'm going to jump out of my skin, headaches, occasional shakes, high blood pressure and pulse... How much longer do I have to do this?! My cravings are so strong I feel like I've spent the whole day on the phone with my sponsor and several other aa members, just so I can make it through to my meeting tonight at 8. Any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're feeling so badly, go to the doctor or the nearest ER for medical help asap! Alcohol withdrawals can be dangerous, and you never know how your body is going to react to w/d. As long as you keep having "a tiny sip" to stop the shakes you're going to keep on going thru w/d. Please see a doctor or the ER for medical help in getting safely thru w/d. Please.

The actual physical w/d from alcohol can be a few days to a week, just depends. But you've got to actually stop drinking else you're just prolonging the agony...
Old 11-19-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have noticed the worst symptoms easing off as the day goes by, I know i'll have another long night without sleeping, but i'm ready for it. it seems as time goes on my main symptom seems to be the sweaty palms, and anxiety. the anxiety is enough to drive you insane, but i am also prescribed medication to help my anxiety. So when I talked to my dr. they advised me that I could take small ammounts of my meds, hours apart, to help me out. in the meantime ive been doing alot of walking to boost my metabolism, and drinking a pile of water and green tea. but thank you, i was told which symptoms to watch out for, and my mom is monitoring me 24/7. i will not be tapering tonight.