Notices

Do YoU go out to bars and clubs?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Not until you don't have to ask if it's ok or not.... And stay away from self pity, there are other things to do that aren't just staying at home... I felt like you once, so did a lot of us... it gets better, promise
Old 11-19-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by flowersinhair View Post
Hellooo-- So 4 days sober now... 26 years old... and as I've posted before I want it to last this time. The people I know are always going to bars and, on the weekends especially, big night clubs. Do I go and hope for the best? Or is it better to sit at home?? CoNfUsIoN. Thanks for your help.
Like they say, play the tape to the end, what will the end of your night end up like. I could replay hundreds of different endings for me, every one of them horror stories, ending up with the same mess and the guilt, shame and "nervous breakdown like" hangover the next day. Tonight I'm staying in with my dogs, take them for lovely walk, do some knitting, watch TV, eat, relax, anything far better than drinking. Let the mates drink in the pubs and bars tonight with all the accompanying crap that goes with that way of life and they can tell you the next day how good it was!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm older now and have never been much into the 'party/bar/club' scene, tho I used to be many years ago. No way would I go to a bar/club now as they're all about drinking and I DON'T DRINK!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I made the choice not to put myself in those situations early in my recovery.

I didn't want to live my old life one more day - but hey I was an alcoholic - I still had a foot in both camps.

Going to bars and clubs when I wasn't sure about this whole sobriety deal was to me too great a risk. I'm glad I chose caution. I look back at the me of 2007 and I don't know I'd be here on SR if I'd still tried to live my old life.

Later on, when I was sure of my sobriety, I still didn't go to bars and clubs because the main activity is always the consumption of liquor - I have no interest in being around that.

I know you're younger than I am - but the questions are still the same at any age - whats your priority? How far are you prepared to go to stay sober? whats most important to you?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 11-19-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hell no! Why would I want to be around a bunch of irritating drunk asses?
Old 11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Flowers, I haven't taken a look at subsequent posts yet, but why don't you give it some time without for a while? I'm not you, but when I picture going to a place like that really early on, that isn't enough time for me to get out of the drinking mode and the mindset that goes with it. The big difference with me is that I stopped going out to drink years ago and that ushered in an era of drinking solo at home - well, exclusively at home.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
SR Fan

After getting sober, I began to realize I'm really not a party girl afterall. I think the reason a lot of people drink so much when they socialize is because they're not comfortable in social situations. I much prefer to DO something with others, or talk one-on-one.

There's plenty to do with friends that don't involve alcohol: go to a movie, go out to lunch, go to a play, join a hobby-related group. Even though things like sports events and concerts have drinkers, at least there's something going on besides just getting wasted.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I didn't go to bars and clubs when I was drinking, I found them boring and expensive for no return then, and even more so now. I used to DJ in clubs and private parties and got paid to make the party. Did that professionally on weekends for 20 years. That probably contributes to my dislike of being an attendee. If a friend pushed me about going to one I'd probably make a deal. If he came to a one hour AA meeting with me, I'd go to his bar for one hour with him.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Nay...I have been out...Its good that I have been collected and calm sober to handle those...my buds...into the safety of my ride home.