Notices

New here, looking for advice and support :)

Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, looking for advice and support :)

Hi everyone. So I have been drinking pretty heavy (or what I think is heavy) for the past year and a half. Use to drink a lot when I was 20 and 22. I'm now 28. then quit for a few years then started back up. I drink every other day, or every few days.. a whole bottle of wine. Sometimes a little bit more, almost a bottle and a half. I don't know how I can't drink so much and even though I get drunk, I never throw up or black out ect. Its gotten up to that much now probably due to a recent break up and it helps to keep my mind off things, for a short time

I'm afraid of withdrawal symptoms though, and get really scared when I read that it can kill you! My normal hangover symptoms are which I have now, are dizziness or off balance feeling and sometimes I'll wake up out of a dead sleep with a panic attack and my heart racing. But I've learn to calm those down and cold water helps then it goes away. I never really get the shakes or headaches. But I read that symptoms can happen several days after you quit? I would like to know that I'll be feeling better not worse! Or should I not quit cold turkey? Ugh. I just want to quit for good and know I'll get better.

But I've just about had it with this. I want to start over and live my life, for myself and my beautiful children. It just needs to stop and I've never felt more ready than now.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

We cannot provide medical advice. See a doctor if you are concerned about withdrawals.

What we can offer is support. It is encouraging to see someone so young ready to take whatever measures neccessary to rid themselves of alcohol. Oh how I wished I had done so at 28 instead of 54. But that is that. Welcome to Sober Recovery. A wealth of information here.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease...

You are young, quit now...Make up your mind and never go back...Latch on to all the support you can find, keep yourself busy, eat healthy, exercise and believe in yourself...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Boogirl! Please join us in the Class of November 2010 thread.

The support you will find here is amazing. I am only Day 6, but for me that's an accomplishment.

I have only been here a week but I am overwhelmed by the amount of wisdom, support, and caring given to us newbies by the others here.

All the best,

-SD
Old 11-19-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Welcome to SR, you will find a lot of support here. People that can relate to you with similar stories and backgrounds. Missymae said it all, alcoholism is a progressive disease. My hangover didn't start out that bad I was always able to wake up and go to work. Then it got worse, I started sleeping through my alarm clock I even slept through an earthquake, it got to the point where I couldn't get out of bed at all unless I drank a beer so that I can function. There is one thing I want to ask you. How else do you quit if not cold turkey? I look at it as its all or nothing. Reducing the amont you drink isn't quitting, its just prolonging your suffering. Like you I'm 28 yo, did a lot of heavy I mean HEAVY drinking and using in my early 20's, and I have 2 adorable little ones. My little ones are the reason why I got my act together. I don't want them growing up without a father. Embrace your kids and hold on to them, if not for yourself, quit for them. I know my kids deserve more than what I was before, I'm sure yours do to.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! It's always a good idea to have medical help in getting thru the initial detox time. Please see your doctor to be safe and comfortable in getting thru the w/d.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ow, dizzyness and off-balance are withdrawal symptoms? Ok, then we have the same simptoms. I wish you all the best boogirl.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome boogirl

Detox can be problematic - not for everyone, but the thing is we never can tell...so it's always best to see a Dr if you're worried about stopping your drinking

You will find a lot of support here tho - lots of us have been exactly were you are boogirl - you can do this

D
Old 11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm around your age and have about 4 months sober and FEEL GREAT!!!! It is sooooo worth the first few rough days. Like everyone said, we can't give medical advice so talk to your Dr. It will get easier fast!!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome, boogirl! I had a very similar drinking pattern (the last 6 months or so I started drinking every day, though, to get through the hangovers). A bottle of wine actually has 7-9 drinks in it (depending on the alcohol content), which I found out after I'd gotten sober - wow.... I thought it had 3 or 4! The recommend amount for women is 1 5-oz. glass per day. No wonder I was having issues.

I'm glad you decided to post and reach out for support. Taking that step is hard, but it's so important! Hope you keep posting/reading!:ghug3
Old 11-20-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone! Well today is my second day of no drinking which is actually normal for me. Today would be the day I'd normally have my bottle of wine. I am kind of craving it only because I feel good. I don't seem to have any withdrawal symptoms but my body is use to go a day or two without. My biggest wonder is if new symptoms out of the blue could show up a while later or if maybe I am not so addicted as I thought. My father and most his side of the family our alcoholics and I don't want this to go any further and it happens to me where i cant funtion without it. Many family members have died of liver failure cancer ect. Scares me And today since I feel fine and healthy, that makes me want to drink more thinking maybe I don't have a problem. But I'm not going to!!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I detoxed hundreds of times Boogirl - sometimes I was very sick...sometimes felt great - it made no difference to how alcoholic I was.

It's unlikely I think, but if you do find you feel feel unwell later, see a Dr.

Try to remember why you came here - you already know where the decision to drink will lead you...maybe it's time to try the other road and see where that leads

D
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Boogirl - hope you're getting through day 2 OK. I always found that days 3 or 4 were the hardest for me, craving-wise. Like you said, when we feel better again we forget those times we lay in bed wishing we hadn't had that bottle of wine the night before. That little "voice" will make all kinds of excuses to drink, almost like "Well, I made it through that horrid binge - maybe I could just drink one more day!"

Just keep taking it one day or one minute at a time and don't worry about the next day until it comes. I know you say you're not having any withdrawal symptoms, which is great, but there can also be more subtle things like generalized anxiety, irritability, etc, not to mention the obsession.

Hang in there!:day6
Old 11-21-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Boo!! You will find plenty of info and experience and much support.

Glad you are with us.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, Boogirl!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member