Notices

sober 24 days but...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question sober 24 days but...

Hi Everyone, very excited to find this forum! I put myself in rehab on October 24th and was let out on November 10th. I was a good daily drinker for 20 years.

I felt great for the first week of detox they had me on meds and then tapered me off. From the second week on i have physically felt awful: headache, nausea, tired and aches. I am eating really well, taking vitamins and exercising daily and getting sleep. But feel crappy no matter what I do...

I checked in with my doctor and he took some blood to check on things but I am wondering, does it take longer than a couple of weeks to start feeling better after getting sober? I am guessing that my body has some healing to do.

Anyone else need a few months to feel better? Thanks so for any insight or experiences.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DJLucy View Post
does it take longer than a couple of weeks to start feeling better after getting sober
Yes, way longer. There is a sticky around here somewhere about things getting much worse before they get better.

Dee or Carol, can you point us in the direction of info on PAWS?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started feeling more human after a couple weeks, but it took me at least four months to start feeling 'better', physically and mentally. Everyone is different so may be shorter or longer for you.

I would say if you're still feeling crappy/sick/bad after three months to see your doctor for a full physical exam. But don't adhere to that "three months" guideline I just said, go with your own instincts/feelings. See your doctor any time you're having doubts about your health and well being.

Keep in mind, we didn't get so sick all at once so it's going to take some time to get well.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Avenger of my liver

Originally Posted by least View Post

Keep in mind, we didn't get so sick all at once so it's going to take some time to get well.

Wow. I really like that quote. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone is different, but I would say for me it took almost a year to feel 100% "normal".... whatever that is. haha. But it just goes to show you how much damage we really did to ourselves, and it was a good reminder NOT to drink again. Certainly didn't want to go through all of this again.

Congrats on your sober time.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lucy

Welcome

It took me much longer than a couple of weeks too - it makes sense to me when I considered I drank for years.

As NAT says, there is a condition called PAWs (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) but not everyone will experience that. None of us are Drs. here. It may be you're simply going through the normal readjustment we all do - adjusting, in mind and body, to sobriety.

It's still a good read tho - some good tips....
Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) « Digital Dharma

Hope you feel better soon
D
Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I kinda figured - drank for 20 years won't feel like a superstar overnight... however, nothing can take back my 24 days which feels good in itself. So true, would not want to go through all this again - good advice from all.

My sincere thanks for helping me out. L
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 11-19-2010, 01:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi DJ - I don't know what they tapered you with, but it's possible that you're getting over being on the detox drugs too. I hope you feel better soon!

I was really tired and a little foggy for a good couple months. Also had a slight tremor for about a while (which has since gone away). So yes, it takes a bit of patience. Lots better than day 1 though!