Notices

Can't sleep - any tips?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can't sleep - any tips?

Cant stop my mind racing thinking about all the things I ought to have done, need to get done - never will get done unless I can sleep properly and have energy to do them!

Work is draining me and stressing me a bit so alot of my thoughts are about that as well. Not allowing drinking thoughts in - pushing them straight out again and replacing with other stuff - is this why my mind is racing so?

Any quick fix ideas or tips? I have lavender oil sprinkled on the pillow - giving up tossing and turning for the moment, going to have a ciggy (not gonna help me sleep I know but at least may reduce stress levels a bit) then on my return maybe a find pearl of wisdom to get the zeds coming.

Its 00:45 here in the uk now - Im gonna have a rubbish day again tomorrow if I cant sleep soon

Sometimes wish I was my cat - snoring away happily by my feet - not a worry in the world!

Pumpkin
Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Here's some tips from the insomnia forum. Hope it helps!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-insomnia.html

I wish I could sleep as easily, soundly, and readily as my dogs...
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pumpkin - I am two weeks into recovery and sleeping just isn't part of
the equation at all. Try going with it rather then against it.

After I toss and turn for awhile I get up and just do something,
or grab a book and read. I try deep breathing and relaxing all
of my body parts by concentrating on them one at a time.
Lot's of water, herbal tea does seem to help.

The more I worry about my lack of sleep, the more I don't
sleep. Just go with it. I know that sounds simple and crazy,
but it works. Eventually I sleep. It is not a passed out,
alcoholic sleep so I have found I need less hours to feel
rested then I used to.

I think it will get better for us, the longer we are sober.
I thought of otc sleep aids, but I'm afraid that might set
me back someway.

All the best.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Oh, how often I envy the cats! happily sleeping in the sun, on the bed, on the cushion...

I have had some sleeping problems. On the up-side: After having a few bad nights I am so tired I sleep well again. :-). And, as a teacher once said: If you can't sleep the night before the exam, don't fret, one night won't affect your performance.

I guess we can add: a few hours of sober sleep are better than a few more drunk.

I find relaxation techniques helpful: Telling myself I have heavy, warm and sleeping limbs.. working my way through my body, relaxing all parts. And, I try to remember that just lying there is relaxing my body and helping me to regenerate and rejuvenate :-)

sweet dreams
vee
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have cat-sleep envy too!

I have chronic insomnia and I don't have any quick-fix answers.

I have tried melatonin, but it doesn't do a thing for me. I use valerian sometimes and it seems to help a bit. Sleepytime Tea is also helpful.

I almost always get up if I can't sleep and read or watch TV for awhile, then go back to bed. I don't like lying in bed tossing and turning.

I hope you get some sleep.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you both.

I read the thread - some good advice there - It is early days for me so I shouldnt expect miracles yet should I.

I guess I will have to put all these improvements to my environment and plans to catch up on what I have neglected with my boozing on the back burner until I am used to being sober and just be grateful that I have hit the pillow not having had a drink. I just need to stop thinking about it and Im sure I will drop off. Having got rid of the thing I used on purpose to stop me thinking it may take some time!

Had a cup of cammomile tea so that should help calm me tho once I do drop off will probably wake for the loo more often.

Oh well - will read some more helpful stuff in here for a bit and try again soon. Just posting this on here has made me feel a bit better and I am certainly not as down as I was this morning.

Peace to all! (and lots of nice zeds!)

Pumpkin
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two more posts while I was replying to the first two! Thanks Vee and Anna - oh to be a cat for a day!! (Apart from going to the toilet lol) xxxx
Old 11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

some more tips PS
Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

hope you get some sleep soon
D
Old 11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TY Dee x
Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hope you get some sleep Punkin. Lots of folks have to go through that in the first few weeks, and it passes. I know that doesn't make it any better until then. I got the fast thoughts and jumping from one thought to another pretty strong in the first few weeks too. Along with the dryest skin and scalp and the itches.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TY itchy - I get itchy in bed as well - never connected the two before - is this the reason for your name for in here?

x
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

yep! I got out of detox and my skin started peeling I got dandruff, and wrinkled hands in the palms, I am only now starting to get over the last of it.
Talk about a guy breaking the guy rules and learning to use moisturizer creams and slimy moisturizing soaps!

I am now an expert on skin products that I never would have ever thought of using before, being a manly kind of man.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Audio books and lectures are great when you are having trouble sleeping because you can relax your body in a dark room (which is good for sleep) but still keep your restless mind occupied.

Recovery-related material has been a godsend when the insomnia strikes, and I've become quite a fan of the XA Speaker Series in particular

XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go with the flow

Hi Pumpkin,

I'm UK based too, Scotland Fife. I'm two weeks sober yesterday and having problems sleeping, it's now a fight with my son and I who is getting the lap top during the night Lol. I find it best to get up and read the forum, rather than toss and turn, or i'm reading AA material.
All the best, keep it up

Nawneet:
Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks again to everyone. Well I got about four hours I think but now the kids have gone to school I can get another one or two - I know this is not the right thing to do but I really need to be alert for work so an extra hour may just help me getting through the day without getting too stressed and therefore not reaching out for you know what.

I can see its a very common problem and I will have to grit my teeth and ride it out! I remember suffering from insomnia as a child so it might be something I have to get used to again - better than self medicating and all the rubbish that comes with it.

Pumpkin x