Notices

52 days sober

Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

52 days sober

**** my life. I'm so depressed. My mind is going mental. I actually feel like I've not relaxed in weeks. I can't sleep, I'm depressed, I've got thousands of really disgusting, unwanted thoughts belting through my head constantly. I honestly feel like I'm going legitimately mental. What's wrong with me?!

So depressed! :'(
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please get a thorough medical check up asap! Feeling so depressed is not the norm, altho early sobriety can be a very 'bumpy road' to travel. Please see your doctor to rule out any physical causes for your depression. Or... it could be depression, serious depression. Please see your doctor and, if needed, get a referral to a good therapist or mental health professional.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Member

BSU,
I am sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty. It varies from one to another but have a read here about PAWS:
Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) — Why we don’t get better immediately) « Digital Dharma

I agree with least about the doc. Get proactive on it!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree BSU - although I felt joyless for a good many months, it's not normal I think to feel as bad as you describe this far in.

I'd see a Dr - it may be there's something else going on besides recovery here.

But it's up to you - if you're not convinced about that, then maybe it's time to try some face to face support like AA - I'd imagine having real life support and folks to talk to and lean on would make a huge difference, mate

D
Old 11-18-2010, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

BSU, I agree with others that you should check in with your Dr. My early sobriety was up/down but it wasn't anything that worried me. I had some mild anxiety and mood swings but the swings quickly passed my friend. See what the Dr. says.

Thinking of you.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Definitely talk to your doctor! IME not sleeping is a vicious circle. I have felt like I am going mad from exhaustion.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BSU
You need to see a doctor. Clinical depression is very serious and meds can help. You may want to ask yourself why you have not taken this step? Recovery is about more than sobriety. It is about building a better life. I don't want this depression to be a reason, cause to go back to drinking.
My life changed when I stopped drinking and I started managing my depression it is possible.
SH
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

BSU - I'm almost around 50 days and I've been struggling a lot too. I've been distressed and I've always been an insomniac - but it's been getting a lot worse. I think in the beginning I was distracted by the shock of actually being sober...And I was on some sort of "sober high" and now real life is kicking in and ruining that. But you should for sure talk to your doctor, so you at least know you did everything you can! Hope things start looking up.