Notices

Stay connected...

Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stay connected...

With others in recovery. I know for me then SR has enabled me to 'stay connected' on a daily basis for 16+ months of my sobriety/recovery.

For me then 'one day at a time' is fundamental to my recovery. Sure it's great to know that 'just for today' then I make sure that i don't pick up no matter what, but it's the living and thinking in terms of 'one day at a time' that has had the most pleasant impact on my mind.

I genuinely enjoy recovery and all of the many facets involved with it. The philosophy and ways of looking at myself and life in general have genuinely transformed my life. Spirituality is something that I'd never heard of before recovery, it's something that is very personal to me but I guess it's fundamental to what keeps me grateful to be an alcoholic. I know when my spirituality is starting to temporarily slip then this is when the old self-obsessed and negative thoughts towards myself and life start to come back. By keeping connected with other alcoholics and addicts then this allows me to regain back my balance.

I am really enjoying AA at the moment and it is really helping me stay 'connected' with other alkies and addicts too. I was thinking about some of the terminology in the steps and had a sort of moment of clarity in relation to the "came to believe" opening. It ain't something that happened overnight, not for me anyway, but I know that stuff that I am able to do now reallly helps me. I see the importance of the higher-power as being so important for my happy recovery 'one day at a time'. I've always said that if you're sober and happy about it then that's when you know you're doing the right things.

I'm happy to be sober and very grateful and when i'm grateful then I'm how I like to be and feel content. I have the classic 'racing' head that you often hear talked about at AA and by keeping connected helps me to keep my alkie mind in check. I can lose perspective and clarity very quickly, if I wasn't connected to my recovery everyday then it wouldn't be long until I started to believe my irrational and negative/depressive thoughts.

Thanks SR for enabling me to 'stay connected'.

peace
Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I always enjoy your thoughtful and searching posts, Neo.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post

I am really enjoying AA at the moment and it is really helping me stay 'connected' with other alkies and addicts too.

"came to believe" opening. It ain't something that happened overnight,

I can lose perspective and clarity very quickly, if I wasn't connected to my recovery everyday then it wouldn't be long until I started to believe my irrational and negative/depressive thoughts.
That rings true for me as well. I think it was really close to a year before I started even half-liking meetings, the steps, or even the whole recovery process. LOL.....I remember thinking I didn't even like that I was starting to like it... That's some messed up thinking....I didn't like that I was starting to feel better! lmao!

As for losing perspective quickly....omg... I'd have to think about it but I think I can lose touch with a good moment in a second.....maybe even less.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I can relate to using SR to stay connected with my fellow alcoholics/addicts. I've been working 10-12 hours a day this week leaving me no time to take in my normal meetings. Normally this would have me going out of my mind not being able to get my "daily reprieve". Ever since I found SR its given me a different outlet, another way to connect. I love SR for all that it provides. You guys have helped me to get through the day when I can't go to my meetings. I'd like to thank all of you guys for all of your help, support, kind words of advice and criticism when I need it. This is a great topic. Thumbs up Neo.