Notices

Odd thing about my substance abuse issues.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Odd thing about my substance abuse issues.

Nobody has ever once suggested to me that I have a problem whatsoever with substance abuse. It's like I'm the only one who knows. And when I tell people that I do have a problem; they usually try to tell me that I do not. A few reasons for this I think 1) When I'm under the influence of drugs and or alcohol I'm still easy to get along with and don't have confrontations with people due to my use, nor do I get into trouble with the law. I've actually had two ex girlfriends specifically tell me that they like me when I'm drunk 2) I've made it along far in college. 3).....I'm good at hiding my substance abuse.

I'm the only one who understands all the damage that my use has caused me. And I'm the only one who understands how my use has affected others, namely family; in that I do not keep in contact with nor do I spend an adequete amount of time with them due to my frame of mind and warped priorities.

Just some random thoughts of mine. I hope everyone's having a good night.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I can kinda relate to what you are saying. When I was using, I was not one of those who showed obvious signs (and no, that is not my perception, but those who are around me have told me). I never got in trouble with the law and I held a long-term job and all that. I just didn't have people telling me I did not have a problem, they told me I did and I said I didn't!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one really knew about my substance abuse either. Every once in a while a friend would comment on my drinking or ask me how much medication or drugs I took - but they never seemed very concerned.

A lot of my drinking in the beginning was with friends who also drank a lot - but somehow I always drank more. Sometimes I would only bring a little money so I wouldn't spend as much - but my friends would tell me to bring more money because I would beg them to borrow some to get another drink. We were all young and for some reason it's acceptable to do crazy things when you're drunk and young. Thinking back I was the friend who got kicked out of bars, yelled at random people and told my friends horrible things - but for some reason they put up with it, and still enjoyed going out with me. We even joked about it.

Towards the end it was less obvious because I was drinking alone. A lot of people are really surprised when I tell them I quit and don't quite understand the severity of it.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

FreeParticle,

One of the things I have come to understand, is that we are each on a very personal journey. And, it's very hard for people who are not addicts to understand what we're going through. You know what is the best thing for you.