Notices

Physical Update, not so good...

Old 11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Physical Update, not so good...

Well, I had a physical recently and the blood test revealed elevated liver enzymes so they tested it for Hep and VERY surprisingly I have been diagnosed with Hep C. It's a devastating diagnosis obviously but also because apart from that, the doctor said all my levels were good and I am in great shape and otherwise healthy. Not sure how I got it as I never did intravenous drugs and that is the #1 risk factor for Hep C. It could have been from a tattoo I got, it could have been from my military service (I believe this is likely) it could have been from some of the other risky behaviors I participated in in the past, who knows.

I have it and now I have to deal with it and that sucks. One thing is for sure tho, this puts the final nail in my drinking coffin, and any remaining thoughts I might have had of ever drinking responsibly in the future can be be put to bed now for sure. I simply cannot drink again, and won't. It's funny how in a way I started self-treatment (no drinking, no drugging, improved nutrition) two years BEFORE I got the diagnosis so in that way I am ahead of the curve already with just over two years of not drinking. Glad it was my choice and not something I was "forced" into.

Scared, sad, but hanging in there and dealing with my feelings about it SOBER.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear your bad news Get, but I'm pleased you're doing everything you can for it.
Take care

D
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanx for sharing, getr, prayers out to you.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Not sure yet which specific type of Hep C or how far along it is or anything yet other than I have it and have to go see a liver doctor and I guess they will be able to answer my questions and give me good information. I know the treatment drugs they use for Hep are a bitch to be on, bad side effects; not looking forward to that at all. Started taking milk thistle and another liver supplement which includes stuff like dandelion and artichoke and other liver friendly herbs. Hope it helps. I'm scared about the stigma, scared I may have given it to my wife, scared about the disease itself, scared about the side effects of the treatment. Just plain SCARED!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hugs and prayers coming your way..
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you are going through this.

Try to keep a positive attitude and not let yourself get overwhelmed.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending you positive prayers and thoughts .
Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Prayers going out to you - I hope you get the best treatment/doctor possible.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm thinking of you Getr and wishing you strength as you begin treatment. I am glad you had quit drinking and began a healthy lifestyle prior to this diagnosis.

While this is a frightening time please know that many folks do live with Hep. C and with proper treatment and care go on to live successful lives.

Stay positive my friend.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

How scary for you, getr! Sending strength and healing thoughts your way.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Means a lot to me, it really does.

Told my wife last night. She was very sympathetic to me and very supportive, I am so lucky to have such a good person in my life. We talked a lot about it and that really helped and even though it is scary, I am in fight mode for sure and have been for a while actually. Cannot imagine how awful it would be if I had gotten this diagnosis without having first gotten sober and making all the other beneficial changes to my health that I have made over the past two years. It's like in a way, I've been in training for the fight of (for) my life and now it's fight time for real.

Thinking back on it now, my decision to quit drinking two years ago, it's clear to me now that my body (my liver in particular) was screaming at me, telling me that I needed to quit drinking and get healthy (meaning fitness and nutrition) or I really was gonna end up dead or extremely ill before my time. I knew I was in trouble but clearly my mind & body knew I was was in SERIOUS trouble and it found a way to tell me.

So glad I listened, and acted.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey getr - Sorry to hear about the hep C - prayers and good thoughts for you and your wife. My dad has had Hep C for thirty four years - many treatments, but still going strong. PM me if you want - I can tell you what i know about what his personal experience has been. Take care! Jomey
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

No real news BUT...the day after I got the diagnosis, I was hired by a really good company for a part time job. At this point, I'll take what I can get. It was the perfect thing to have happen to take my mind off the diagnosis and get it focused on something more positive. And what made being hired really cool was I was called in for what I was told was a second interview but when I got there I saw hiring paperwork they wanted me to fill out, and since I had not been offered the job, I said "am I being hired?"...they said yes, I was like, oh cool!! Instead of more questions or applications, I was being hired. It was great!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck Getr34d. No better time than now to really make every day count!

And congratulations on the job! In this economy, that is a blessing in itself.