Notices

Not quite sure what to do

Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not quite sure what to do

Hello everybody,

I am 24 years old and have been drinking pretty heavily since I was about 20. I have lost a lot from it. I started off spiraling downwards as my drinking went out of control at about 21. Originally I drank because I thought it was the "cool" thing to do but then eventually I became hooked. Drinking at almost anytime during the day, nearly everday, got me very close of being kicked out of my college because of my exceptionally low GPA, I lost the woman that I loved very dearly, lost my job that I had for almost over 2 years, and nearly took my life. I ended up in psych ward for 3 days 2 years ago after a suicide attempt and spent some time in and out of both inpatient and outpatient programs. The most time I spent sober that I can recall was 2 weeks inside of an inpatient program.

Not too long after that took place, I became a "functional alcoholic". That is, I returned to drinking in patterns that would allow me to keep a new full time job I had acquire and get other things done that needed to be done. So basically, since then, a lot of my time has been spent at work. And after some time when I get out of work, I begin drinking. It got worked out to the point of me planning at what time I would drink and how I would drink so that I could be up for work the next morning. Basically involved slamming two 24 oz cans 12% alcohol per volume of malt liquor followed by a beer. My pattern of drinking at first did not interfere with my job. Since I've successfully maintained this pattern for quite some time, I believe I am suffering more physically and mentally. I don't feel very sharp mentally at the beginning of the day and I think thats starting to show to others. I have neglected my health and really don't eat much throughout the day. I suffer from frequent bad heartburn and in urgent care one day due to stomach pains have also been told I may have gastritis. The last time I went to a doctor I was diagnosed with hypertension and was prescribed meds(Lisiniprol) for it. That was some time last year and that was with my pediatrician(yes, had him for quite some time). He recently released me and advised me to seek out a primary care physician due to my age.

Basically I have been drinking on a daily basis for quite some time now and I fear greatly for my health. I checked my blood pressure at 2 local grocery stores and got a reading of 143/100. Also, about a week or two ago I started having intense panic attacks wherein I felt as if any moment I could have a stroke or that something would go seriously wrong with me medically. This is warranted by not following up with the current status of my health and not having a doctor as of today. My shift of 8am-430pm makes finding one quite tricky.

I want to make a serious effort to quit. I want my life and health back. Doing some research online, I found a lot of advice strongly seeking out the care of a physician before quitting as withdrawals could be deadly. I am looking for a pcp to get regular health exams again but I am not sure what to do in the mean time. I want to quit but do I wait until I find a doctor so I don't risk the potential seriousness of withdrawals? I feel like at this point whether I do or don't drink I am still looking at some sort of damage. Or is there anything else I can do without a doctor?

Thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newman

I think you're right to be cautious about withdrawal, especially if you're a daily drinker and have been for some time.

Get to a Dr as soon as you can - the sooner you do that, the sooner you can start

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey,

I think it's really quite smart of you to be thinking ahead medically of the situation beforehand. Most the time we have to convince people to get to a doctor.

I would only suggest taking a day off work to do this if there's nothing after working hours. If it's the kind of job that lets you take a day for a medical check-up (gosh I hope it is!) then this is absolutely the kind of situation. It's a health issue in every possible sense of the word.

You might also consider asking your doctor or a hospital what a local hospital may be able to provide. Often they may just want to keep regular track of your vital signs and they might proscribe a medication to help. Of course that is contingent on what a doctor thinks not a philosophy student on an online forum, but it's a possibility.

If going cold turkey worries you and you can't get to a doctor right away, I would just say keep use to a minimum. I can offer no alternative, non-medical withdrawal solutions because 1. I don't know any and 2. it would violate forum rules to give them. There were some old time remedies to sober people up before the medical community gave two shakes about alcoholics, but those are pretty unsound these days.

Good luck and congrats on deciding to quit. This may very well be a time in your life you look back to years from now as being one of the best decisions you'll ever make.

-Isa
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Newman and Welcome,

I think you are finding that alcoholism is a progressive disease. It will get worse unless you stop and I'm glad that you recognize it is causing problems with your physical and mental health.

Do find a dr who can help and take time off work for the appt if necessary. It's very important to take care of yourself.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! Yes yes yes, see your doctor, not just for your health but for medical help to stop drinking. Withdrawals can be very dangerous, more so if you have high blood pressure. Please consult your doctor to be safe.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome.....and please keep coming back. You can learn a lot at SR.