Notices

Been gone a while

Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been gone a while

I recently made it 67 days thanks to the kind folks on this site. Then I went to an open bar charity event and had wine. Oops. No longer counting dry days. Well, I haven’t been too concerned about it as I am not a terrible problem drinker (no hangovers, missing work, embarrassing moments, etc.). But I am nonetheless an obsessive person and know my drinking is beyond “normal”. (As defined by SSIL75's recent thread!)

So, my current problem is that I was diagnosed yesterday with breast cancer. I know I should go back to abstinence. I just don’t know how to get back there.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontwant2Bdad View Post
I recently made it 67 days thanks to the kind folks on this site. Then I went to an open bar charity event and had wine. Oops. No longer counting dry days. Well, I haven’t been too concerned about it as I am not a terrible problem drinker (no hangovers, missing work, embarrassing moments, etc.). But I am nonetheless an obsessive person and know my drinking is beyond “normal”. (As defined by SSIL75's recent thread!)

So, my current problem is that I was diagnosed yesterday with breast cancer. I know I should go back to abstinence. I just don’t know how to get back there.
First of all I'm hoping it was caught in time for a full recovery and wishing you the best. With the challenges of chemo, possibly surgery not to mention the emotional battles you'll be facing alcohol will have no place in your life. All I can say is it will make things far worse and you have to keep that in mind.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Do you have a good support group to help you get through this? Of course (like Stang said), the last thing you need to do is drink. I'm an obsessive person, too, and I know that just allowing myself to have any kind of alcohol will set that old thought process in motion.

Maybe you can use this time to focus on healthy eating, exercise and other things that reinforce your immune system. Get obsessed over thinking positive, working with the doctors, etc.....

Prayers going out to you tonight..... I have quite a few friends who have successfully beaten their breast cancer and are still going strong. All the best to you.:ghug3
Old 11-13-2010, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Wishing you a full return to health soon

I know this must be a terribly stressful and worrying time for you - I agree with the others here that some face to face support might be the ticket.

Have you thought of a recovery group like AA or SMART etc? or counselling?

D
Old 11-14-2010, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DW, I am sorry for your diagnosis and am wishing you successful treatment and recovery. What I can say for you and while I am not a Dr. that the BEST thing to do now is to stop drinking. There is enough info on the web and a clear statement on the American Cancer Society site to this effect.

Please get support (AA, counseling, etc.) and definitely discuss this with your Dr.

Thinking of you.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

HOping and praying for a successful treatment and recovery. And of course, alcohol won't help your health but will only make it worse...
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you! Well, here's to another day 1!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you well in your treatment for a complete healing.

You can get back to sobriety by not drinking today and getting rid of the alcohol you have.