Notices

From one addiction to another

Old 11-13-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From one addiction to another

HI Everyone, It's been 78 days for me and I have switched my addiction from alcohol to food. I have always been struggling with my weight but now I haved gained about 20lbs since I've stopped drinking. And I eat it as if I'm binging.

Is there anyway to break these addictions? If I stop the food addiction, what will be next? I don't want to go back to drinking? Can I ever live a normal life without having to be addicted to something?

Theresa
Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have several addictions and for me it all comes down to coping skills.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gr8t2bme View Post
HI Everyone, It's been 78 days for me and I have switched my addiction from alcohol to food. I have always been struggling with my weight but now I haved gained about 20lbs since I've stopped drinking. And I eat it as if I'm binging.

Is there anyway to break these addictions? If I stop the food addiction, what will be next? I don't want to go back to drinking? Can I ever live a normal life without having to be addicted to something?

Theresa
For me it was coffee and that's starting to slack up. If you go to an AA meeting you'll se the cigarette smoke plume from a mile away before ya get there! They need gallon size coffee cups also.
I don't know what to tell you other than eat healthy foods and stay busy to keep your mind off of it.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dismember

You can break the cycle, absolutely. We turn from one thing to another because we need something to serve a purpose. But alcohol and food are not otherwise similar at all. Might just take some changes: psychological, habits, change your routine up. There's a section of SR for eating issues too, if you haven't seen that yet you might find some good information there.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa:

You sound like me. I too have been eating so much since I quit drinking... but I never ate anything when I was drinking... basically I was an anorexic. Just got calories from drinking. I am not overweight, but do know that I have to curb my appetite or I will become overweight.

What I have been doing is starting to exercise for two reasons, it keeps my mind off food and increases my metabolism. I think eating healthy food makes a difference as well, because you can nibble on more vegetables and fruit than pantries, etc. I have been trying my best to eliminate sugar, dairy, and wheat products. I have seen some improvement with my cravings. Sugar is a tough one to get rid of... well for me it has been. I don't keep it in the house anymore, if I have a really bad crazing for it I go with jam and toast.

It may also have something to do with food tasting so good when one is sober.

Oh, I haven't had a drink for approx. 86 days...

Hang in there... I think your cravings will diminish... just stay away from drinking.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some people here may tell ya I've switched from a booze addiction to food, but don't let them kid ya, it's not true.

Just because I like to eat say, seven or eight times a day doesn't mean I'm addicted.
just because I check the ads for deals each week, and plan my shopping before I go doesn't mean I'm addicted.

However, I will concede, when I drool so bad over a two-for-one ice cream special sale that puddles form on the floor, I might, just maybe have a problem.

However, I've never gotten a EWD (Eating While Driving), although I have had a couple coffee spills that caused a great outcry and alarm.

Maybe try to increase the amount of exercise you get, one thing I do is park instead of using the drive-thru, lol.

If ya have to gain a few pounds to stop drinking, well, that's ok in my book.