SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   From one addiction to another (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/213309-one-addiction-another.html)

gr8t2bme 11-13-2010 04:32 PM

From one addiction to another

HI Everyone, It's been 78 days for me and I have switched my addiction from alcohol to food. I have always been struggling with my weight but now I haved gained about 20lbs since I've stopped drinking. And I eat it as if I'm binging.

Is there anyway to break these addictions? If I stop the food addiction, what will be next? I don't want to go back to drinking? Can I ever live a normal life without having to be addicted to something? :(

Theresa

Lilly03 11-13-2010 04:35 PM

I have several addictions and for me it all comes down to coping skills.

Stang 11-13-2010 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by gr8t2bme (Post 2766719)
HI Everyone, It's been 78 days for me and I have switched my addiction from alcohol to food. I have always been struggling with my weight but now I haved gained about 20lbs since I've stopped drinking. And I eat it as if I'm binging.

Is there anyway to break these addictions? If I stop the food addiction, what will be next? I don't want to go back to drinking? Can I ever live a normal life without having to be addicted to something? :(

Theresa

For me it was coffee and that's starting to slack up. If you go to an AA meeting you'll se the cigarette smoke plume from a mile away before ya get there! They need gallon size coffee cups also.
I don't know what to tell you other than eat healthy foods and stay busy to keep your mind off of it.

Isaiah 11-13-2010 04:45 PM

You can break the cycle, absolutely. We turn from one thing to another because we need something to serve a purpose. But alcohol and food are not otherwise similar at all. Might just take some changes: psychological, habits, change your routine up. There's a section of SR for eating issues too, if you haven't seen that yet you might find some good information there.

ItWillBeWorthIt 11-13-2010 05:12 PM

Hi Theresa:

You sound like me. I too have been eating so much since I quit drinking... but I never ate anything when I was drinking... basically I was an anorexic. Just got calories from drinking. I am not overweight, but do know that I have to curb my appetite or I will become overweight.

What I have been doing is starting to exercise for two reasons, it keeps my mind off food and increases my metabolism. I think eating healthy food makes a difference as well, because you can nibble on more vegetables and fruit than pantries, etc. I have been trying my best to eliminate sugar, dairy, and wheat products. I have seen some improvement with my cravings. Sugar is a tough one to get rid of... well for me it has been. I don't keep it in the house anymore, if I have a really bad crazing for it I go with jam and toast.

It may also have something to do with food tasting so good when one is sober.

Oh, I haven't had a drink for approx. 86 days...

Hang in there... I think your cravings will diminish... just stay away from drinking.

firestorm090 11-13-2010 06:10 PM

Some people here may tell ya I've switched from a booze addiction to food, but don't let them kid ya, it's not true.

Just because I like to eat say, seven or eight times a day doesn't mean I'm addicted.
just because I check the ads for deals each week, and plan my shopping before I go doesn't mean I'm addicted.

However, I will concede, when I drool so bad over a two-for-one ice cream special sale that puddles form on the floor, I might, just maybe have a problem.

However, I've never gotten a EWD (Eating While Driving), although I have had a couple coffee spills that caused a great outcry and alarm.

Maybe try to increase the amount of exercise you get, one thing I do is park instead of using the drive-thru, lol.

If ya have to gain a few pounds to stop drinking, well, that's ok in my book.