Notices

Irritability to the point of self-injury?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Irritability to the point of self-injury?

I'm on day 12 and I'm starting to think that these random rages I've been flying into for the past few days are psychological withdrawal symptoms. Within seconds, I'll go from perfectly fine to furious. My arm is still pretty bruised and swollen from 3 days ago. I'm trying to avoid doing anything to my abdomen (despite my anxiety regarding weight, food and feeling disgusting all of a sudden) so I don't have to worry about more serious injury. I've been self-injuring in various ways since I was about 4 years old, and thankfully I'm only self-destructive and don't hurt others, but I would still prefer for it not to happen. I'm trying to exercise it off, but every afternoon, evening, and night I risk falling into this state of mind at any moment. Sometimes a small frustration sets me off, but sometimes there is no trigger at all. Tonight I thought coffee would help make me happy (I'm alone and it's a Friday night) but it only made the anxiety and irritability worse, which makes perfect sense. I just need this to stop before I start throwing important things instead of just shoes around my room and punches to myself.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dismember

Self-harm has been a huge problem in my life. Coping for me has often been a matter of substitution.

One of the more difficult to start, but most effective things for me is just a few minutes of deep breathing.

I've also kept rubber bands around my wrist to snap (hurts but doesn't cause injury.) Holding an ice cube in your hand is another way.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi WTS

I think if you're that irritable you're hurting yourself and your possessions, even if it is bruises and throwing stuff, it might be a good idea to discuss things with your doctor.

D
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also have problems with self harm - I keep crayons and paper nearby and hold a crayon in my left hand (whatever one you don't write with) and scribble until it passes. I don't know why it works but it helps get out the frustration and anger that cause me to hurt myself.

I've also used the rubber band and squeezing ice cubes like Isaiah said.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WatchTheSky View Post
I'm on day 12 and I'm starting to think that these random rages I've been flying into for the past few days are psychological withdrawal symptoms. Within seconds, I'll go from perfectly fine to furious. My arm is still pretty bruised and swollen from 3 days ago. I'm trying to avoid doing anything to my abdomen (despite my anxiety regarding weight, food and feeling disgusting all of a sudden) so I don't have to worry about more serious injury. I've been self-injuring in various ways since I was about 4 years old, and thankfully I'm only self-destructive and don't hurt others, but I would still prefer for it not to happen. I'm trying to exercise it off, but every afternoon, evening, and night I risk falling into this state of mind at any moment. Sometimes a small frustration sets me off, but sometimes there is no trigger at all. Tonight I thought coffee would help make me happy (I'm alone and it's a Friday night) but it only made the anxiety and irritability worse, which makes perfect sense. I just need this to stop before I start throwing important things instead of just shoes around my room and punches to myself.
I'm not real big on shrinks but this sounds like a job for a professional!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would definitely see a Dr. on this Watch. Some things are better handled with a professional.

All the best!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I do have a psychiatrist because I have bipolar II. I don't think this irritability has much to do with my mood stability so I didn't mention it here, but I was planning to bring it up with my doctor! In the meantime, I appreciate the advice!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad to see the update Watch
Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dismember

Good stuff! They probably have a shopping list full of tricks to catch yourself and slow things down in those moments.

I was offered mood stabilizers a couple times because I deal with very fast, intense and often self-destructive mood swings. I decided against them, but there might be medication fixes out there too.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

WTS, you said you don't hurt anyone but yourself... but YOU are someone and don't deserve hurt from yourself or anyone else. Please talk to your doc/shrink/therapist asap and try to find a solution. You are worth more than self injury.