Notices

12 days

Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days

I think....

Feeling pretty good. Mild to moderate cravings, not too bad.

Was there a point when you guys began noticing psychological and/or emotional changes? Just curious.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your progress FP.

The first month, or even two, were full of emotional upheaval for me - my emotions were all haywire. I think thats pretty normal.

My perceptions started to clear and level out after about 60 days, if I recall correctly.

Of course your mileage may vary
D
Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats FreeParticle on your 12 days

To be honest, I noticed changes from the moment I started up to today. That's life, I think.

But stuff started to settle down around 90 days for me.

Congrats again.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

I've only got 10 months and I still go through emotional and psychological termoils. From what I've learned from the old timers is that your always going to have to deal with them, that's life. Hence we live life on lifes terms. The point is that we can learn deal with these things without having to take a drink. I'm going through a divorce, just got fired from a job a few weeks ago but I haven't found it necessary to take a drink. We learn to do this through the program, working the steps, working with our sponsors, working with other alkies and by rwaching out. When you feel like taking a drink, take in a meeting, call someone or come to this website. You can do it though. I didn't think i could ever stop drinking. White knuckling it I've only ever managed to get 4 months before I relapsed. As far as the cravings go, just keep the plug in the jug and you'll be fine. I no longer crave it. Good luck on you journey.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

For the whole run. I'm only on my 12th day without alcohol, but I had almost nine months before that. I was noticing improvements even at that point.

I've read that according to some studies people notice changes up to two years after sobriety. That's at least for the physical changes in the brain to adapt. Psychologically people can continue to feel better their whole lives.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

For me it was around four or five months when I noticed how much better I was feeling, both physically and emotionally. And I continue to feel better day by day, even on the rough days.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks for the thread Free Particle!
I am at day 52 and have a lot less ability to deal with difficult people as clamly as I did before. But thanks to this website and the folks here, like you it is a lot easier knowing that our withdrawal symptoms are normal and not permanent, nor are we losing our minds, they were already lost and we are picking up the pieces, and trying to fit them all back together again. I actually expected to be 100% as soon as the drugs were out of my system post detox. Then thought it would all go away a few weeks later at week one. Got here and with a great small AA group and man am I glad to know the facts and not stress out as if I was going crazy. :o That is the problem with our first sobriety. We don't know what to expect until we get with others that are ahead of us.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12 as well! No physical symptoms this time around, but I'm definitely in psychological withdrawal. Mild cravings, inability to concentrate, pacing around the room, food cravings. The irritability is by far the worst!
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm one day behind you - on day 12 today. I find that the gym keeps me occupied. You'll lose any excess weight you may have, be happier due to the endorphins released during excercise (Endorphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and will have another excuse to stay away from booze when you're tempted (I don't want to miss that workout tomorrow).

Personally, I'm doing the bike and treadmill in the gym and have increased the treadmill from 20 minutes to 30 minutes over the past couple of months. I'm now going to start increasing the speed because I the treadmill can get very boring after 30 minutes and I'd prefer not to increase the time.

I intend to lose some weight between now and Christmas (am down 5kg/11lbs so far) and, in the new year, I'm going to take up a weights program to tone up.

Assuming everything goes as planned, I'm going to treat myself with a lot of new clothes (for my new, improved, fat-free body) with the money that I would otherwise have spent on booze.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good work Free!!

I think it varies for everyone but I can say that the beginning was an emotional roller coaster for me but things were improving as the months went on.

For me it was probably around the 5 month mark that I really felt solid in my recovery. I didn't think of drinking anymore and I just began to have a more stable outlook rather then being up and down and all over.

Keep it going~~