Notices

Holy chocolate cravings!!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holy chocolate cravings!!

I've laid off the drink for 4 days now. I'm eating dark chocolate like it's nobody's business!! Must be a sugar craving??
Old 11-12-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I notice that with me too. I usually refrain from sweets but now have a sweet tooth. I didn't realize alcohol had so much sugar in it.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I still love love love dark chocolate, tho after 11 months I've 'tamed the beast' a bit and don't eat near as much as I used to stuff in my face. Always keep a bit handy tho "just in case".
Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I didn't eat as much sweets as I thought I would when I first quit back in September, but now...watch out. The Halloween candy, of which we bought more than we needed, gone.

Supposedly, eating chocolate releases endorphins in the brain. We can't drink so we seek a chocolate buzz!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am seriously a chocolate MONSTER!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dismember

I remember how after my first major quit after a long time drinking I was devouring bottles of soda and pints of ice cream like nobody's business! I'm sure my dentist would've scolded me, but if the root beer floats kept the cravings away.

Actually.... haha... I remember that I'd even go around to different stores to buy soda because I didn't want them getting suspicious about my consumption. Same thing I did with alcohol. Some habits stick.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's a common thing round here .
The book Under The Influence has some stuff on the science behind it, I think?

D
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Azrel, it could be a normal reaction. I don't remember when my interest in sweets started, but I know it was in place a good month or two afterward. When I stopped drinking, I was suddenly interested in oranges and other fruits, chocolate candies, and also a variety of other things. If you're heading into the doctor's office soon, you can mention what's going on.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
HFA

I dont even like chocolate, but since my sobriety, I have been shoving it in my face like its O2.

Week 19
Old 11-12-2010, 07:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Azrael,
Boy can I relate but with me it is not chocolate. You know those large lifesaver mints that come individually wrapped in a bag? I have been scarfing down about a half pound of them daily, keep them in my pocket, and make sure of my supply as closely as I did my alcohol supply before! I used to eat 2 or 3 before I quit smoking and drinking. Glad to hear the craving for sugar goes down with time. I'll be a diabetic before I know it! I tired the sugar free ones but when I looked up all the sweetners in them closely they are worse in other ways than the sugar.

As has been said if they keep the cravings for alcohol and tobacco away I am all for it!
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its great you're eating dark chocolate its much better for you than the milkier versions....I found the darker the chocolate, like 70% cocoa, the less id eat.

Dont worry too much about it, you can always do extra exercise if you're worried about your weight and brush your teeth more often if you're worried about cavities!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know the feeling! I have never liked sweets until getting sober....now I crave frozen yogurt with chocolate chips like crazy! Every day!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

I read years ago in Prevention magazine that Dove dark chocolate contains the most antioxidants and are actually good for you. I help myself to two or three during the day but I learned to just let them sit in my mouth and slowly melt away without chewing it. 3 or 4 minutes of pure enjoyment.

Now I really get pissed when I pop one, close my eyes to enjoy it and the phone rings in my office.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Azreal View Post
I've laid off the drink for 4 days now. I'm eating dark chocolate like it's nobody's business!! Must be a sugar craving??
I sobered up in April had a one day relapse in June. I just ate a quart of Blue Bell Milk Chocolate ice cream! think I'll have some more.....is there a chocolate hangover?