Hanging out with 'normal' drinkers

Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I got nothing to add, but this thread put a big smile on my face

Nicely done everyone.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My desire to not be "found out" allowed me to pretend to be a normal social drinker, but I also have always been amazed by social drinkers. No one in my family knew about my problem and I could not bring myself to drink around them - even at normal social occasions I felt the need to "hide" my drinking. The first time I drank when I was 12 or 13 I stole alcohol from a family member and drank alone. It started out with drinking to get drunk. I still can't understand why you would want to drink slowly or not get completely trashed.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Even at my worst I managed to maintain one small shred of discernment. I could never drink cheap beer. Even at times when I wanted a drink and that was all that was present I wouldn't do it. The snob was actually stronger than the addict.

Of course, I didn't mind the turpentine-like stuff that gets passed off as cheap vodka. I'd stick to that, but I wouldn't touch a Miller Lite. Cunning, baffling and at times even inconsistent.
A few weeks ago an old drinking buddy called. I haven't seen him in years and he lives a couple hours away from me. I told him about sobering up and that I had come to grips with being an alcoholic. He was supportive. I could tell by his voice he was drunk. He told me he was drinking Miller Lite ask if I was jealous. Isaid "fella I'm an alcoholic and that horse **** makes ME gag"! We both had a good laugh about that.
Oh yea just for ***** and giggles why is it that the only people I have ever met who drank Busch Light were alcoholics? Guess ya gotta be a drunk to drink that nasty excuse for a beer!