Notices

New to SR

Old 11-10-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2nd chance at a 1st cl*** life

Smile New to SR

Hello all,
My name is John. I'm new to SR and have been in recovery since January 2, 2010. I'm an alcoholic and an addict. I've basically done everything under the sun but I only stuck to two drugs. My drugs of choice were alcohol and pot. I never really had any run-ins with the law due to pot so initially I didn't think I had a problem with it. With alcohol on the other hand I have had my share of run-ins, not many, but my share. So after I got into recovery for my alcoholism I decided that if I really wanted recovery I had to get honest with myself. It's tough now because though I'm over the cravings for alcohol, I still crave the pot. Letting go of pot was tough for me to do. It was the drug I couldn't imagine living without. I would ask myself what am I going to do for the rest of my life if I can't smoke weed. It's foolish when I think about it now, that I couldn't imagine my life without pot. I'm glad that I found the rooms and recovery, and I'm glad that I'm sober. I can only do this one day at time by the grace of God.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those were my two drugs too John.

I never got in trouble with the law over my pot or alcohol but is that really a good yardstick? I destroyed my life as completely on one as I did on the other.

Different drugs - but same addict. I have to believe the problem is me, and unless I fix me, I'm doomed to repeat my mistakes.

Once I starting working on myself, and I stayed sober long enough I found I wanted to stay that way...it gets easier, or at least it did for me, John.

Stay the course, man - welcome to SR

D
Old 11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! You'll find a lot of support and understanding here.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John and Welcome!

Good for you for recognizing that you need to stop both the pot and the alcohol. You will find lots of support here.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Both were my drug of choice as well. I've never had any kind of run ins with the law, family, or friends about either. Its in MY heart that I feel that I have a problem with alcohol. Pot I can take or leave, but present me with a drink, and even if I don't want it, I'll drink it. I think that when you have a problem with one substance, another substance can replace it quickly. Just take it one day at a time. Don't think about "forever". We are here for ya, and we all truly understand. Welcome to the family!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome John
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi John, welcome to SR and congrats on your nearly 1 yr of sobriety!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi JOhn, same two drugs here. Quit the pot about 6 years ago - it was just doing my head in! It was so painful and I don't want to go back to that part of my life. Saying Goodbye to the booze is a little harder (my parents never offered me pot, but they do offer me a glass of wine).

Congratulations, you must be at about 10 months clean and sober - thanks for being here and sharing with us newbies.

vee
Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome John! What great progress you have made in sobriety and for wanting to work on your other vice.

You have our support and you can do this!

Glad you are with us.

Last edited by Kmber2010; 11-12-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Can't type words apparently...