Notices

I've enjoyed being sober, but...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've enjoyed being sober, but...

I can't freakin' sleep. Each night since I stopped drinking I've only managed to get around four hours of restless sleep. I feel tired but wide awake. I don't know if this is alcohol related or if I'm just stressed over work or something. In any case, I'll be happy when I can get a full night's rest.

On the bright side, I caught the season premier of Conan on TBS at 1:00 am this morning. Pretty funny stuff. And I was sober so I totally remember watching it

J.S.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hang in there - The insomnia is really annoying, but it will pass. I had it too, for about 1-2 weeks (each day got a little better after day 4). Everyone's different, timewise, but it's definitely a common thing after getting off alcohol.

Glad you're a least enjoying a few late-night laughs!!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sleeping is a common problem I'm afraid, JS.
I found it got better as the days went on.

See your Dr if you're worried tho

D
Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I too had problems sleeping at first. My body was just not used to going to sleep without alcohol. But after a couple weeks, I started sleeping normally, and it was better than any night of sleep when I was drinking. I remember my dreams, and I usually wake up feeling refreshed. Much better than tossing and turning and waking up with a headache, trying to figure out a way to get out of work, wondering where I put my wallet and keys and how much money I spent the night before, and cursing the day I was about to begin.

Hang in there. It gets better, I promise.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It definitely gets better. Last night (after day 16) I slept all the way through the night without waking up once (I usually wake up at least once, if not two or three times, in the middle of the night). Be patient, it is so worth it (I know this because I once had 4+ years before I relapsed 9 months ago, and I want that great, sober, fulfilling life I once had, but I know it will take time, so I, too, have to be patient and do my best when it comes to my recovery). Hang in there! We are with you all the way!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here.
This is only my third day but I think I managed an hour and a half last night.
Actually, it feels great after no sleep the night before.

Staying positive
Old 11-10-2010, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure how far along you are in sobriety but I can tell you that for me the first days going into the first few weeks were rough on my sleeping. I did find it got a bit better each day as I moved along and switching up nightly routines helped tremendously. I began waking up earlier and before bed...I would do some reading or watch a movie. Most of us have gone through it.

If you find that you have continued insomnia then check in with the Dr. to make sure all is ok. They can help.

Keep it going!!

Last edited by Kmber2010; 11-10-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typos...
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've had trouble too, but yesterday was Day 5 and it was better. Isn't it fun to wake up and remember TV shows, though?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It took me several weeks to get back to sleeping normally, but oh the good sleep is worth the wait, not to mention waking up feeling good!!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

My insomnia began in my teenage years and continues today.

But, it was at its worst when I was drinking.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by startingagain View Post
I've had trouble too, but yesterday was Day 5 and it was better. Isn't it fun to wake up and remember TV shows, though?
ha ha !!!
Last night I was watching a terrible Johnny Depp movie at 2.30 am trying to drop off....

I remember it this morning and I wish I didn't
Old 11-10-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Looking back, my sleep was messed up for a year.......but a lot of the reason that lasted so long was my fault.

I was drinking Coke and/or coffee all day thinking "it doesn't bother me...never really has hurt my sleep." Well, that's true........when yer adding a fifth of booze with it. Take the booze away (the depressant) and keep the stimulant and that = sleepless nights.

Also, I wasn't getting any real exercise....doing that helped me get to and stay asleep.

Finally, I wasn't clearing my head. I wasn't hitting enough meetings and sharing, I wasn't talking to my sponsor enough, and I wasn't writing enough (the writing reeeeeally helped clear my head - it worked waaaaaay better than the sponsor/meeting stuff as far as getting the weight off my mind).
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had the same thing the first couple of weeks, like Day Trader said, cut out the caffeine at night (for me no coke/coffee after 5PM)

Also had the "drunk dreams" for about two weeks straight, very surreal, I shared this at a meeting and that became the discussion of the evening. I don't know, maybe getting it off my chest and talking about it helped. I haven't had once since.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have had problems with insomnia for as long as I can remember with or w/o drinking, tried different types of sleeping pills and all kinds of natural rememdies and they'd work for a few days or weeks then they'd quit working so I just try to accept the way things are. The good thing for me is at least now when I'm exhausted from not sleeping I'm not ALSO hungover! sleepless nights are a whole lot easier to deal with w/o the guilt and anguish of being drunk for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It does get better, no doubt. When I was drinking so heavily, it was a guarantee to wake up several times a night wide awake, filled with anxiety and fleeting thoughts speeding in my mind. It was like my brain was on overdrive.

It did take a couple weeks of having the same crappy sleep before it got better. That first night of full sleep was just awesome. Thankfully, I can now stay up late and chill out, feeling energetic and great - and when i go to bed I snooze up until the alarm hits, waking up refreshed and full of energy.

If you keep it up and stay patient, you will get better sleep over time.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

It definitely gets better. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I knew to expect the insomnia, so for about 4 days, I took tylenol pm before bed to try and regulate my sleep, and get my body used to a new bedtime. It really did work, and on the 5th day I had no problems.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and shared experience!

The benefits of not getting drunk (no hangover, no guilt, cash in my pocket, better performance at work, the list goes on) are hands down far greater than the cost of not sleeping great.

Sober and no hangover on 4 hours of sleep totally beats the heck out of still semi drunk with a massive hangover on 8 hours of sleep

Question:

I know medical advice cannot be given here, and I am not asking for it. I am asking for advice on how to get medical advice. Suppose I did want a doctor to check me out .... how do you do that? Probably sounds like a dumb question, but I haven't been to a doctor in years. I don't have a doctor. Even if I did, would I call him up and say "I have some mild alcohol withdrawal symptoms that I'd like you to look into"??

I'm young. I think health-wise I'm good to go, but I'm sure the prudent thing here is to see a doc just to make sure.

Best wishes to everyone. 11 days sober. Pumped about hitting two weeks.

J.S.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

J.S.
Congrats on the 7 days!!! Woo Hoo!
Go to this link it is the Houston central AA office. It is immaterial whether you want to attend AA or not but they can point you in the right direction in your area for services and medical for alcoholism.
Home Page
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congrats on your sober time!

It does get better.....in fact, now...I actually look forward to going to bed. Never thought that would happen.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Re-Member

J.S.
I don't know where I got 7 days from???
Congrats on the 11 days!