SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Dreams? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/213015-dreams.html)

readythistime 11-09-2010 04:02 PM

Dreams?

Hi all. I am on Day 17. Past couple of nights, I have been dreaming about drinking. So vivid. I dreamed that I was at the liquor store. I bought a 6 pack of Bud (haven't touched Bud in 3yrs + it was cans, I always preferred bottles). I also bought a little guy of Dickel's whiskey (not even sure if this comes in small bottles). This is weird too, I preferred Beam. Anyway... I drank them, I tasted them in the dream so vividly.
Cool part was I that I got so p.o.'d at myself for drinking and I was mad that I was going to have to start over again.
Bummer is, all day long today, all I can "taste" is whiskey.
Anybody else have dreams like this?

Isaiah 11-09-2010 04:22 PM

Ooooooh yes. You, me and everyone I know. Drinking dreams are ubiquitous. I have no idea why, but tons of people get them. And they can be very vivid. Many times I've woken up believing what I dreamed was real.

LaFemme 11-09-2010 07:54 PM

Yup...I've had them. Most people who post here say when they wake up they are mad that they f'd up...so I think its positive usually. Whiskey is nasty tasting stuff...sorry you are tasting it all day...I guess you liked it though...try and associate the taste with throwing it up...works for me:-)

doggonecarl 11-09-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by readythistime (Post 2762477)
Cool part was I that I got so p.o.'d at myself for drinking and I was mad that I was going to have to start over again.

Same thing happened to me. I was chugging a 24 oz Miller Lite (that's how I knew it was a dream, hah), and I then thought, what am I going to tell the guys on SR?

I think it's good sign that we feel bad about drinking, even if only in a dream. I hope the only place I relapse IS in my dreams.

juststand 11-09-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 2762756)
and I then thought, what am I going to tell the guys on SR?

Ha what a cool testament to the support community here. I've only been a member for about 24 hours, but I think I've found what I was looking for.

Thank you all!

J.S.

Itchy 11-09-2010 08:33 PM

I just hope you don't follow that dream up with a dream hangover tonight and feel and taste that all day!:eek:

havefaith01 11-09-2010 08:41 PM

I'm a little over 4 months sober now, & just recently I've been having dreams of drinking
vodka on the rocks(I heard the ice clinking, it woke me up!)
It was a trip!!!!!!!

Snarf 11-09-2010 08:46 PM

Yeah, definitely had those dreams. And you're right, they are so vivid. I can actually smell and taste the alcohol. Luckily, I also feel guilt, remorse, anger and other emotions in my dreams. Drinking dreams for me always include negative feelings; I always know that my drinking was wrong. Often when I wake up from such a dream, I'm still upset with myself for a few moments, until I realize what's going on. Those dreams help me. It's bad enough to have those feelings while I'm asleep. I certainly don't want to have them while I'm awake.

stellaloella 11-09-2010 09:05 PM

Yes, I've had many of those. I often drink among family members who disapprove and am confronted by them. Very disconcerting to wake up to these types of thoughts. They are very vivid dreams.

Also, I have a tendency to have very highly detailed dreams that may not involve alcohol, but leave me feeling confused and disturbed when I wake up. Their "story lines" are usually weird or scary.

I know it passes after a little while, but I'm back in the saddle (dream-wise) so I feel like I'm being read my psychological rights all night long. Not fun!

least 11-10-2010 04:37 AM

I haven't had too many drinking dreams, but I used to get a phantom 'taste' of wine in my mouth for no reason... Used to freak me out but it's long gone now.

SSIL75 11-10-2010 04:42 AM

I definitely had them. I posted it about it here I think. I haven't had them for a while now. Not since I posted actually I think.

Isaiah 11-10-2010 04:45 AM

I still get phantom smells every once in a while. It's always beer too, which is odd because I only drank top-shelf beers back when I was drinking normally, never when I started abusing.

SSIL75 11-10-2010 04:55 AM

I get phantom tastes. The other day I was just sitting eating breakfast or something normal. And I got a taste in my mouth like the morning after a big wine binge (ie - every morning in my old life). Bleugh.