Notices

Parts of the 12&12 - Step 1

Old 11-09-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Parts of the 12&12 - Step 1

We know that little good can come to any alcoholic who joins AA unless he has first accepted his devastating weakness and all its consequences. Until he so humbles himself, his sobriety - if any - will be precarious. Of real happiness he will find none at all. .... The principle that we shall find no enduring strength until we first admit complete defeat is the main taproot from which our whole Society has sprung and flowered.

When first challenged to admit defeat, most of us revolted. We had approached AA expecting to be taught self-confidence. Then we had been told that so far as alcohol was concerned, self-confidence was not good whatever; in fact, it was a total liability. ...we were the victim of a mental obsession so subtly powerful that no amount of human willpower could break it.

To the doubters we could say, "Perhaps you're not an alcoholic after all. Why don't you try some more controlled drinking, bearing in mind meanwhile what we have told you about alcoholism?" (lol..... I KNEW what that would get me......DRUNK.....waaaay drunk.....over and over.......AGAIN )

Under the lash of alcoholism, we are driven (that implies that virtually nobody "chooses" to go to AA - which was good news to hear cuz I didn't want to be there...lol) to AA, and there we discover the fatal nature of our situation. Then, and only then, do we become as open-minded to conviction and as willing to listen as the dying can be. We stand ready to do anything which will lift the merciless obsession from us.