Notices

Trying to make it stick this time!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to make it stick this time!

Hello again all. I am back yet once again, i posted on here again this summer about going into a medical detox. Well here is the update....In august with some "more than strong" encouragement from a very good friend and family member i went to the hospital and then on to a detox center where i spent 6 days under supervised detox. I had been drinking very heavily ( probably over a case a day) for quite some time again and my body was not going to take it much longer. I have now been sober for 3 months as of yesterday. I am not going to lie , i don't feel 100% yet but have finally put some weight back on and feeling better. Just dealing with some related and unrelated stress and anxiety issues but working through them. Not sure what the long term has in store but i felt that i wanted to check back in here and start chatting and trying to help if i can and also to use the support of all of you here in my long journey ahead. I am going to try to continue to check in on a regular basis. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back!

3 months is awesome! I did about the same detoxed in hospital and then got on here and with AA and am determined to stay sober forever. Even if I were delusional enough to even think I was able to be normal like I was until my mid to late thirties I would still never drink again. I also felt like if I continued I was going downhill too fast to not be seriously ill for life or dead, and I am not suicidal! I am day 39, and thankful to hear your progress as another brick in my wall.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Three months is fantastic! I have a feeling you'll be providing as much support as you are seeking.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have now been sober for 3 months as of yesterday

Way to go!! Welcome back!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back and that you're feeling better.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see you back Craze

Glad you're feeling better - and congratulations on the 3 months!

D
Old 11-09-2010, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back and congratulations on 3 months!!

Recovery is like learning to live, all over again, just not with drugs/alcohol, but it is SO worth it!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 3 months, craze- that's awesome! Keep up the good work!!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Three months is great. Keep it going.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
31/10/10

3 months are great.

vee
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TY all!!!
Old 11-10-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I mentioned in my post that i still don't fell 100%. After 3 months i still have stomach issues along with depression and anxiety. I just keep wondering if this is still a result of the drinking or if it is an underlying problem. I have had plenty of test done and have seen my doctor regularly since getting sober. Can anyone share their experience as to how long it took before they really felt like themselves again?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Craze, congrats on 3 months! It took me a little over a year to "feel like myself" but I'd been drinking for so many years I didn't really know who the heck I was w/o my wine. If you're not seeing a therapist for the depression and anxiety you might want to give it a shot. I drank due to depression and anxiety and then the alcohol caused the depression to worsen over the years, I no longer have any depression and haven't taken meds or had therapy for depression in about 2 yrs so sobriety and therapy definitely fixed my depression.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

There's A LOT of strong AA down in Ohio.....I'd check it out. You may like what you find there.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

TY for your advice. I have considered AA Day Trader but have not attended a meeting yet. Jamdls, I have been thinking about a therapist for quite some time as i believe that my depression was a lot of the cause of my drinking as well. I just have not made the step of looking into it more. I should get recommendations for a good therapist and i need to find out what my insurance will cover as well, but i do believe that it would do me good. I am on a mild anti-depressant but not really sure as it is doing much good. Again...Thank You all for your posts and keep them coming.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well done on your sober time Craze!

Being involved here at SR along with having a treatment plan (I use SMART Recovery Tools) has helped me make vast improvements in my life. Not only with staying sober but with having a whole new better outlook on life.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Craze and congrats on 3 months! Therapy has been a great help to me...I recommend getting a bunch of names and doing telephone interviews with people to find a good fit.

Since you have seen a doctor and your health seems fine, I will say that it is only in the past few weeks that I have started to feel healthy again. No stomach issues, no sleep issues, no fatigue...the general malaise type deal. I am at 4 months.

I have also found exercise to be a tremendous help!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Craze

It's not unknown for my anxiety to manifest itself largely in my stomach - even now - but really none of us can say for sure whether your problem is drink related or not.

If you still don't feel 100% then it might be worth going back to your doctor again or seeing a different one.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hi Craze!! I'm so happy for you that you have made it to 3 months! Thats great! I just went to my first AA meeting yesterday. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be! I hope you have a good future plan, and welcome back!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

First and foremost I want to thank all of you for your posts and support. I had forgotten how much i enjoyed coming here to talk and listen to other people who have struggled with similar problems. All of us here have different, but so similar situations, and we all know there is no easy solution to any of them. I am on day 97 and the day count really doesn't seem to mean that much at all. Through all of this i have realized a lot of things. For one I think i have realized that my drinking was a symptom or side effect if you will to much deeper problems.My life has gone into a spiral in so many different ways, I don't even really crave the alcohol i crave peace with myself and for me that seems to be the biggest struggle. I have come to terms with the fact that i have fallen into depression like i never dreamed i could. I knew the solutions to the drinking problem and did that part .....the detox etc.. Now i need to get my mind back to the person i know that i am inside but don't have a clue how to do that. I spend every day so frustrated....not at life....not at alcohol and i use none of it for an excuse. I have made too many mistakes again and want to be a healthy functioning man again. I miss my friends, my family, and first and foremost my life that i used to enjoy so much...and mind you when i say "my life" i am not talking about the constant drunk, i'm talking about the life i knew before that........The real me, that i knew and loved. Please help me find that man again.