Notices

50 days today, bad cravings right now

Old 11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

50 days today, bad cravings right now

Hi guys ive been sober for 50 days so far, have been trying to stay sober for the past 3 years as you can see ive had some slips. Anyway ive been doing great so far have been spending a lot of my time training for cycling races next spring and feel really great but tonight for some reason i am having the worst cravings to drink, it came out of nowhere. Ive been spending the past hour telling myself not to drink but i feel i am so close to actually going to the booze store for just a few beers. Its at about this time in my recovery that i get comfortable an end up slipping. I really havnt been going out or doing much other than work and exercising but have no idea why these thoughts just pop up. I am scared to visit my friends havnt seen them since i began this strech of drink free days. Reading your advice to others really helps. I feel the longer i go the easier it will be. I dont want to go back to day one, ive come so far. I tend to the think of the guilt that will come if i do drink which keeps me from slipping. When does it get easier? Do the cravings ever stop. I think ill never be really cured just in remission. Your thoughts? Thanks

best
dt3
Old 11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 days!! I'm not on day 50 yet - but I've heard that the cravings do go down. Have you had cravings in the last 50 days or is this the first big one??
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have 49 days today and felt a real jolt of fear run though me when I read your post.....I'm sure others will have something good to say. I am going to a meeting. Hang in there until they post - no liquor stores tonight.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi downtown - I know how those urges can pop up and how uncomfortable they can be. I usually get them in the evening, but I had one this afternoon after some stressful work was done. I got them quite often in the first two months and then they started to get fewer and further between.

If I feel really weak, I do what you're doing - I come here and read and post. It reminds me why I really want to lead a sober life. Sometimes they go away right away and sometimes they don't. One thing I've found though - things always look better in the morning (without a hangover!)

For me, "just a few beers" would open another can of worms. It's not like you can solve anything by drinking, ya know? Infact, you'll be in the same position a day or week from now, still wanting it.

Sobriety finally felt like my "normal" life at about 4 months. But some people say it takes a year to feel free from the obsessive thoughts. It seems like a long time when you're new to sobriety, but it's really not that bad when you compare it to years and years of drinking and feeling miserable.

Hang in there!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah this has been the biggest one yet. I am taking campral and have been for the past 4 months, i continued to take it even during slips just to keep it in my system. Ive had little in terms of cravings up until this point so much that i was acutally debating going to get booze. Ive had nothing more than a passing thought before this. I think the only thing prevented me from going tonight which i new was the liquor store is closed. So i held out long enough. I am not a bar drinker so wouldt even consider that. My norm was to go get enough to keep me going while at home on the computer etc. The thing i am most thankful for at this moment is the great night sleeps i get, and especially with all the working out i do, i sleep like a log. You guys all know that a good night sleep does not exist when your a drinker.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

downtown3, just get some of that good sleep and skip the drinking. i know it's easier said than done, but we've all been there, and you KNOW you can do it. we're stronger than the cravings. peace.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your responses, they really are comforting and put me in the right frame of mind. When i think of the beginning when a week seemed like a lifetime so i need to put 50 days in perspective. For me its no drop in the bucket so have to remind myself of that. I will not be drinking tonight!! Tomorrow i will wake up and go for an epic bike ride and feel great about not drinking tonight. Good luck to all of you this is a great resource for all of us.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So glad you made it to closing time...phew!!! It might help to realize you are actually past physical cravings at this point. Recognizing its mental might help. Understanding the biology of what is happening in my brain makes it easier to not drink. Also...in addition to all that awesome exercise (did you know it helps your brain heal?) Are you doing any personal growth type work? That's key for me.

Sleep well!

LaFemme
Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Here's to an epic bike ride!

As bad as they feel, the urges do go away. Chances are tomorrow you'll be smiling again! Thanks for the post - you helped me tonight!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You MUST change the subject in your head!!!!!!!
The last slip I had was after several days of constant thinking/semiplanning etc.
It just led to the inevitability feeling and off I went!!!!
No, didn't enjoy it. Felt horrendous and was a mess for a couple of days. I also was PMSing and that didn't help.
Also, I was very much into the day-count thing and that was a problem as I was thinking "reward" time? Now, I know my birthday but am staying in the day and not counting. I don't want to know. I put a reminder in the phone for the "90 days" so I can celebrate. Hope this helps. Change the thinking!!