Notices

Here we go again....

Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again....

Well, I tried to give up two months ago but relapsed. As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not a weekday drinking (usually) although I do end up on the beer and off work the odd Monday.

I'm gonna give this another go. I was drinking on Monday 1st November and had the flu the past week. This means I'm now going to bed on day 8.

I don't see the past weekend of no drink as a big achievement as I was sick. However, I do see it as a good excuse to not drink this weekend - now that I've got the days in double figures, why pour it down the drain.

I know for a fact that I can't drink normally - took a long period of telling myself that I can cut down before realising this.

I've more faith in myself this time round because of the fact that it's so long since I've had withdrawal symptoms and, unlike the usual story, I'm not telling myself that "maybe I can handle one night per weekend".

I'm looking forward to the one month target which, hopefully, will be on December 2nd.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You are going to get there itsabout time! Think local support as well as here if that suits you. I have found AA twice a week and the rest of the week here to be perfect for me. But there are lots of ways to get there. I did an in hospital detox and since I was in there anyway detoxed on smoking too. Haven't had a drink or smoke in 50 days, but I cheat on the smoking, I do use the patch still. I also took advantage of a situation to amplify and get a head start. Compared to my drinking days life is wonderful. Never perfect, just great because today I did not drink and have nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
xuse

Goodjob
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back itsaboutime..and good luck!

D
Old 11-08-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back. I'm glad you're not giving up on yourself.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome back, and I'm very thankful you're here! We all need one another in this struggle, so just by popping in you're helping others who read your post.

Great job on the days you've got behind you so far. Now that you've proven you can do it, there's no reason you can't keep doing it, right?

I think most of us tried for quite a while to drink "normally." Unfortunately, we were unable to do so, and that inability landed us here, in AA, therapy, etc. But we all have that in common, so we can all relate to and help each other. Hope you hang around for a while!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Was in the bar last night but had a non-alcoholic drink and ended up having to carry a friend out and drop him home as he'd been drinking for about 10 hours.

Looking at the reaction the woman that was in with us had to his state only solidifies my desire to completely quit. I'm sure there's been many females that have looked/thought of me in the exact same way during the past 10 years.

Day 8 now but there'll be no problem until this weekend but I'm sure I can stay off it.

Was at the gym today and yesterday and plan to go right up until Saturday before a rest day.

By making it through this weekend, I'll automatically make it through to the following Thursday - I've a work night out that night but that will be day 17 so, at that point, I won't want to throw my effort down the drain.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, day 11 now and the start of the first weekend where I'm not sick. Here's hoping I make it through it. Also, the work night out isn't until the 25th so if I pull through this weekend, next weekend should be fine and I'll make it all the way to day 24 without a problem.

I've been in the gym every day this week as planned and will be going tomorrow. Sunday will be my rest day.

My friends were out last night (they were drinking in my house and I then dropped them to the nightclub) and have been out in the pub all day today. They'll probably not make it to club time tonight which is a good thing for me as it only leave tomorrow to worry about. Overall, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your progress
D
Old 11-13-2010, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

It's day 12 today and I'm DEFINATELY not going to drink tonight. That means I'll be going straight through to day 18.

I've been going to the gym during the past 3 months and this week is the week where I've noticed the most major improvement - both the drop in fat and increases in weights on the machines.

I want to keep that going next week.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, that's the end of day 12.

My day consisted of the gym this afternoon followed by a lot of TV. I then went to the bar briefly to meet a couple of friends but had a non-alcoholic drink.

Just back from a bit of a drive about and am about to go to bed.

Hopefully, my improvements in the gym will continue into next week (I'm quite sure they will).

I'm going to continue to lose weight until the end of the year at least. I've went from 85kg - 80kg during the past couple of months and am aiming for 70 - 75kg by the end of the year.

As soon as I can see a 6-pack, I'll then be upping the calories (food not drink :-) ) and focusing more on weighlifting in order to tone up and not look to skinny. Come next March, I expect to see major improvements.

My end goal is to be around 85kg with <10% bodyfat. This will probably take the most of next year.

I feel that having goals like this will help me stay sober - the sub-goals moreso (sub-goal one in bold above).
Old 11-14-2010, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today's day 13. I've enjoyed a rest day from the gym and went out for breakfast with a few friends. Will probably spend some time on the internet now and watch some tv later on.

I've an early start tomorrow (I like to get my gym time in before work) and will have an early night tonight.

Thanksgivng will be a bit of a test but it's only one day. It'll also give me more confidence that I can make it through the Christmas holidays which will be a lot tougher.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you, itsaboutime, for sharing and inspiring.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Keep up the good effort!