Notices

Young, new to this, and unsure.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young, new to this, and unsure.

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this website for many months, have nearly registered at least five times, and finally got the courage to do it. I'm still in college, yet I'm considering getting sober. It amazes me how much I've already lost because of my drinking problem. I know that some people believe a college student can't possibly be an alcoholic. Most of my friends are social binge drinkers, but they haven't experienced a fraction of the consequences that I have (which I won't list just yet!).

This is day 7 for me. It's not nearly as difficult as past day sevens have been. I have no physical withdrawal symptoms this time around, I'm just really missing alcohol. Thanks for listening!
Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome WatchTheSky
Congratulations on your 7 days

D
Old 11-06-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello and welcome! Glad you decided to join.

Anyone who says a college student can't be an alcoholic is wacky. One of my alcoholic friends was in high school when he started going to AA.

Considering sobriety is a great start, and don't worry about being unsure. Some people never think about giving up alcohol until they've nothing left and even then may not be sure.

Social binge drinkers can face losses and consequences for their drinking but decide to change and drink sensibly. An alcoholic cannot. There is no middle ground: one either quits completely or goes on to drink in a way where bad things are inevitable.

Missing alcohol is okay and normal too. Part of the process and doesn't mean you aren't necessarily doing the best thing. I know there are days when I really wish I could just have a glass of some excellent wine or a Belgian ale, but I have to play the cards I've been dealt. And what I've gotten from sobriety is better than any drink I've ever had.

Hope you'll stick around.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on your seven days. Stay sober one day at a time and try not to regret yesterday or worry about tomorrow. It's a very good thing you're getting a grip on your drinking while you're still so young. You won't be making problems for yourself if you get and stay sober now.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR WatchTheSky and nice one on the 7 days.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Be proud of yourself for recognizing that you have a problem with alcohol and for seeking support. Good for you!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the warm welcomes!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

7 days is awesome! Glad you are giving it the old college try! Keep posting as you go daily and folks just starting will gain from your experience. I am fairly new to sobriety too and benefitted from your posts.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Welcome Watch the Sky!Yes, I believe you can be an alcoholic in college. I have seen some and probably was one myself - not that I admitted it back then. Here on SR you're not the only young & smart person, so you should find people to relate to.

Well done on 7 days! Keep going

Isaiah - thanks for that lovely quote - I will use it when I feel weak and full of self pity next time.

I know there are days when I really wish I could just have a glass of some excellent wine or a Belgian ale, but I have to play the cards I've been dealt. And what I've gotten from sobriety is better than any drink I've ever had.

vee

Last edited by VeeTee; 11-06-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: early morning typos
Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome WTS! It took me a while to post, too. It's scary at first to think about admitting we have a problem and also scary to think about quitting. The problem is that if we don't, things usually get worse. So, at some point we're going to have to get sober if we want any kind of life.

If you do it now, you'll be 10 steps ahead of the pack once you get out of school. And you'll save yourself who-knows-how-many more consequences.

Like least already said, just focus on each day as it comes and make staying sober your priority. I like to think of it as a challenge that's making me the best I can be.

There are a lot of people your age hanging out here, so keep posting and reading!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Welcome, and thanks for joining us! I'll be 30 next year, and I'm back in college because I couldn't handle it the first time around due to my drinking. I would neglect my work because I'd be partying, and then I'd feel crappy the next day and I'd just skip class. If I had cut out the drinking back then, it would have saved me lots of trouble and several wasted years.

The good thing about being in school is that it can give you something to focus on without the alcohol. There's usually some kind of work that can be done, even if it's just getting ahead on something that's not even do yet. Last semester, when I stopped drinking, I started reading ahead in classes and planning out my papers and presentations and such. Been slacking off a bit this semester, but I'm getting back into the swing of things. Just need to focus.

Thanks for joining us. If you've been reading for months, you no doubt have already discovered that there are many really wonderful people here with lots of experience and support to share with you. Why not take advantage of it?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I knew I'd like it here because everyone seems really supportive, honest, and respectful! It's good to know that there are other people my age around here.

Snarf, good for you for going back to college! I am focusing on keeping busy with school, extracurricular stuff for my major, and volunteer work. A close friend of mine from school is dropping out this week after years of struggling with alcoholism and drug addiction. It'll be so hard to see him go but it's a real wake-up call for me. I'm slowly realizing that I am not as highly functional as I always bragged that I was.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kicking this addiction when you are young is so cool and I'm jealous!!

My drinking starting being a problem when I was 18. I remember getting really hammered on my own cos I was lonely, bored and depressed.

I'm almost 36 now and I would love to go back to that young girl and say 'drinking over the next 18 years is going to cause you so much misery, stop now'

I would have probably of told myself to bugger off though... but you get what I'm trying to say!!

Well done and keep going.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats, and welcome!! Don't listen to people if they tell you you're too young - I'm also in college, 26 so probably a little older, but the second I forget I'm an addict I'll be headed down hill.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! One of my friends in college got sober her junior year...she has gone on to have a g great, sober life. I really wish id gotten sober then too...but like crisp said...I would have said bigger off to anyone who told me to stop:-)
Old 11-07-2010, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome WTS!

I'm also a college student. A 26 year old, 4th year senior lol. Drinking has definitely been a factor in my prolonged graduation. You're never "too young" to be an alcoholic. But people like us, that discover it early, have the possibility of living a full life, without drinking. I'm glad you're here seeking help. It's a great community and I hope you make use of all the great resources as well as the great people!

Emma
Old 12-07-2010, 02:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WatchTheSky View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been browsing this website for many months, have nearly registered at least five times, and finally got the courage to do it. I'm still in college, yet I'm considering getting sober. It amazes me how much I've already lost because of my drinking problem. I know that some people believe a college student can't possibly be an alcoholic. Most of my friends are social binge drinkers, but they haven't experienced a fraction of the consequences that I have (which I won't list just yet!).

This is day 7 for me. It's not nearly as difficult as past day sevens have been. I have no physical withdrawal symptoms this time around, I'm just really missing alcohol. Thanks for listening!
Glad you ended up here. Keep up the sober life. It is worth it.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I didn't choose to get sober as a college student and my path the last 30 years since has not been the prettiest.
I give you credit and hope you take advantage of the opportunities you are opening up to yourself by getting sober!
Go for it!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Hi watchthesky, and be very welcome, glad to have you here!

I know that some people believe a college student can't possibly be an alcoholic.
I do, because I am one of them. Like Snarf, I am now finishing my university degree (I just turned 30) and that it is only now is a direct result of alcoholism. I was already heavily binge drinking in my early twenties and I knew it was problematic, yet it took me until I was 28 to accept that I had a problem.
So kudos to you that you want to do something about your problems with alcohol while you are so young. I wish I would have been as honest with myself at that time. and congrats on 7 sober days!
Sobriety is really worth it, take care,
LS
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey man. I got sober at 23 and I'm an alcoholic. I went to University when I was 18 and dropped out. I was binge-drinking very heavily but didn't see the booze as the problem, rather a chance to have a good time and let loose and just get obliterated.

The next 5 years were a great example as to the progressive nature of the illness of alcoholism and all of the associated social and mental problems. I became a very obvious alcoholic and was motoring through the YETS and hellbent on self-destruction. Although I wasn't a daily 24/7 drunk, I don't think I'd have made it that far to be honest. I knew prison, death or psychiatric wards etcetc were the only future for me if I continued to take that first drink, but the thought of a future without my binges to look forward to seemed heartbreaking too.

Recovery from my alcoholism has really gave me such a great sense of direction, purpose, clarity and sense of happiness. I am totally open with my alcoholism at Uni with those I associate with and afterall that's why I'm there anyway and doing Psychology.

I am very grateful for my alcoholism as without it my eyes wouldn't have been opened like they have been. I know for me though that I had to truly see the reality of what continuing to drink would mean for me i.e- I have absolute certainty that I'm an alcoholic and to drink would mean losing everything, quickly.

I would never have stayed sober the first time around as booze and getting wrecked and the lifestyle was everything to me. I had to destroy myself mentally before I was ready to admit defeat and surrender.

A life in recovery certainly is worth it and is so rewarding.

All The Best, Peace.