Notices

Day 1

Old 11-05-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Here i am day 1 into sobriety. The only thing that is making me nervous is that i no friends who are not going out and drinking tonight. i am afraid i will give in once the withdrawals hit and the phone calls start coming. I have been an alcoholic for almost a year now (five days sober in the past year). A few months ago i made it three days and was starting to feel better but i gotta a phone from a girl i had a crush on to come to the bar, and i gave in. I have to quit but i feel alone.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ((Bigred95))! When I was in early recovery, I spent a lot of time here...reading old posts, finding out that there are others who have BTDT and getting an idea of what recovery is all about. Don't know if you're interested in meetings, but AA may be an option. There are all kinds of ways to find recovery...it all starts with not picking up.

I also made myself remember how really miserable I was, in the end, of my drug use. If it was all so great, why are we wanting to quit? It's easy to glamourize our addiction, but facing the hard truth worked better for me...I had to do it, probably, hundreds of time a day, but it did work.

Another thing I did was, when thoughts of using would come up, I'd tell myself "not an option...next", with "next" being a cue to distract myself. Did THAT hundreds of times a day, too, at first, but it eventually became automatic.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"not an option...next"

Love that! I think that needs to be on a post it in my kitchen!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice...i am thinking of maybe treating myself to a new video game tonight and playing it until i beat it to distract me. i am a former college athlete but several knee injuries left me too injured to play anymore. Thats when the addiction to percocet started. I knew i had a problem with it but i was able to conquer that addiction by treating it with alcohol. So now i am addicted to something that is everywhere. When i wanted to quit pills all i had to do was throw out my pills and delete my dealers name. Now i cant go to the gas station without looking at a wall full of something i have convinced myself i need. i feel that quitting this is going to be way harder mainly because of that and the fact i am not replacing it with another drug.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I started playing video games more often when I stopped drinking. It's definitely something to do to pass the time. I like the Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption games. It can take you a long time to complete everything because there are just so many side missions.

I like online games as well, because you can generally play them whenever you want; there's always someone on. It's always easy to get a game of Madden or Call of Duty going, because there's always other folks online ready to play.

Good luck to you, and welcome! I found this site on the day 7+ months ago when I knew I could no longer drink alcohol. Also went to AA that same day. Haven't had a drink since. There's lots of really great people here that have a lot of support and experience to share with you. Hope you hang around for a while!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey big red...welcome to SR, you will find lots of great advice and support here!

I'm not going to lie to you, alcohol is everywhere and its culturally accepted. It's also one of the most dangerous and destructive drugs in the world. But it's also possible to get better. The one thing I have seen since being here is that there are a number of ways to get better but you have to do something. You need a plan and you need to do the work. That's why AA is so popular, it's all laid out for you.

So, my advice is to spend some time on SR, read what others have done, check out an AA meeting if you are inclined and get to work. That said, since this is day 1, you can also play a video game, just don't forget to get to work tomorrow:-)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi big red - welcome - im new to the site I found it on Monday and im back on day 1 today as well - I only managed it to day 4 (yesterday) but thanks to this place instead of going on a bender like I usually do I am straight back to trying for sobriety. This is an amazing inspirational place - get into your game - maybe you could not answer the phone if it rings if you know its going to be tempting you astray. Keep posting and reading stuff on here - it will help. Best of luck and enjoy your evening.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay strong. I always had a hard time the first few days 'cause the w/d would be so awful I'd drink just to make the shakes go away... Do whatever it takes to distract yourself. Just do anything but drink! And if it means staying home and playing video games all night, so be it. At least that won't make you feel like crap tomorrow morning.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support this website is helping me tons...I may check out an AA meeting tomorrow. Might as well right? i figure it could nt hurt.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good point, turn off the phone if you are worried.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome BigRed! Great idea to check out an AA meeting, treat yourself to that video game, maybe take LaFemme's advice and turn off the phone. Realizing that you have to make a change is a great start. Glad you're here. Jomey
Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yea i might as well just turn it off. If i can get through this weekend and then go to class and work monday ill be really happy. Right now i am just focusing on tonight.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BigRed

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feeling ok so far...Phone is off. looking for an AA meeting to attend tomorrow. Worked off anxiety by doing some simple exercises. A little bit of shakes and some sweating, nothing i unmanagable though. I am most happy i was able to eat a meal tonight for dinner (applesauce, yogurt, and pasta) and have keeping down water. Thanks SR. It so comforting to know i am not alone in all this.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! How is your evening going so far? You're doing the right thing by just keeping it in the day. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Please do consider going to a meeting--I hated them at first (had a lot of resentment that I even had to be there, but now I find great comfort and solace in the feloowship; and I have made great, new sober friends! Best to you. Keep us posted. And remember, if you don't pick up that first drink, you can't get drunk.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Big red,
Why stay home, go to a meeting! Most towns have them at all times from before work at 6AM to some at 6-7PM and at all hours in between. You do not have to be alone, or stay in, when sober. The great thing is that every one at a meeting has been through it, all of it, the good, the bad, and the ugly of alcoholism. I am not pushing AA, but you can make some friends there whatever age you might be that aren't going out to drink. Just a thought.

"Dependent people need others to get what they want. Independent people can get what they want through their own efforts. Interdependent people combine their own efforts with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success." -- Stephen Covey

None of us can do this alone, and here you have some friends that have been through it all and we are here for your support too. We also have friends here from a;ll over the world, many in Australia and Europe so all night you can come here and get support, help, and hear what we did to get throught he first few weeks, one day at a time.

You can do this and don't have to be alone.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It is going good. It is the night i am dredding the most. I guess if i can make through the night there will be a brighter day tho.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am apprehensive about going tonight. i do not feel like leaving the house and have never been to an AA meeting...I guess i do not feel like standing up and talking in front of people right now.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There will be members here all night Big red. No problem, I understand. I didn't go to a meeting until week two, others when they felt ready, and still others don't use AA and they use this website, and alternatives that are also posted here. We'll be here.

Just read and post all night. I've done that many night here when I couldn't sleep.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey bigred, presuming the meetings over there are the same as in the UK, you dont have to stand up and say anything at all, there is no obligation to say a single word - just sit at the back and listen - I thought that was what I would do at my first meeting but I found myself wanting to speak. You can leave at any point if you are uncomfortable - the ppl there will be very glad to have a newcomer among them but I am sure you will find you are given all the space you need if you don't want to converse. They will all be exactly the same as the people in here. Good luck whatever you decide to do. (PS have had my name changed in here to protect my ID so all my previous posts are now under my new name) xx