Notices

mental health/anxiety conditions

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mental health/anxiety conditions

Hiya, does anyone else on here have GAD, a generalised anxiety condition?

I'm on the day from hell on day 5 of sobriety, not from the alcohol issue but just another bad day with the anxiety!

I don't know whether I am coming or going!

Be nice to hear from anyone else with the double whammy effect...
thanks
x
Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Me too. Have anxiety a lot, even for no apparent reason. We have an anxiety forum here. I'll post the link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/anxiety-disorders/

I did notice after being sober a few months/weeks that the anxiety was a lot better than it had been. I always had terrible anxiety after drinking, got the shakes always and would be so wound up I couldn't sit still or concentrate. Some of your anxiety may be just from your brain getting used to functioning without the alcohol depressant. It gets so used to the depressant that when it doesn't have it it just pours out the anxiety that was kind of 'pent up' from drinking. It will get better as you are sober longer. And if not, see your doctor.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

^^ I will second that ^^.

I also have anxiety even when things are going relatively well in life. But give sobriety a month or 2 and you should see a difference. After 6 months you may notice the anxiety to be only a fraction of what it used to be.

There will be bad days though, EVERYONE has them whether your are an alcoholic or not!!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I have generalized anxiety.

I had it long before I began drinking, and I still have it. It was definitely the worst while I was drinking. Now, I no longer fear it anymore. I know I can breathe my way through it, most of the time. During a recent 'bad' episode, I had to lie on the sofa and just let the feelings flow. It was really difficult, but I made it
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dismember

I was diagnosed with it once, but I don't believe it's one of the conditions I'm on disability for.

I don't have very severe anxiety but I do get panic attacks once in a while. They've often been sobriety threatening too as I used to use to numb them. Double whammy indeed. I've been learning and practicing safe and sober ways to cut them down.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I have this and I'm learning to accept that it's there and just let it happen - focusing on it and thinking your insane makes it way worse.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh wow

thanks everyone for your posts, it seems I am not alone!

I ended up digging the garden in a manic frenzy but that seemed to help a lot.
Mon dieu this life can be challenging but someone famously said that diamonds are made under huge pressure, indeed there are many beautiful diamonds on here.
love to you all
isit
xxxx
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have GAD and have been perscribed 40mg per day of the SSRI Citalipram for it. I don't care what people say about anti-depressants, these pills have changed my life for the better and I am now 5 months sober and getting the help I need to be able to eventually be able to come off them. My anxiety hit the roof when I first got sober, just take it really slow and be gentle with yourself xx
Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dismember

SereniTee, That's neat. I'm on the same drug and dose. It's also really helped my anxiety a ton (done bullocks for my depression, but you can't win them all.)

Of course, everyone has to know that just two of us had success with it, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone. One of my close friends also takes it and hasn't seemed to help her. Take your doctor's advice, not the forum's.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I too am on Citalipram 40 mg but they work a treat now since I stopped drinking!