Notices

Thoughts on ASAP Intensive Education Program

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Thoughts on ASAP Intensive Education Program

I attended my first Intensive Education program last night. Arriving 20 minutes early, I paid my $400.00 (pound of flesh) for the 16 weeks of therapy. I have to say I find the counselor to be really uplifting in her spirit and fun to talk to. As I sat in the room waiting for the other program attendees to arrive, I listened to how they interacted with her as they arrived and each of them were in high spirits, laughing, making jokes, but also ready to get down to business. After everyone was assembled, our counselor asked each of us to say our name (just like in AA) and tell a little bit about ourselves. I was the last to be asked and without hesitation told my story. There was quite a bit of laughter - because how I got there is kinda funny to be honest - and while I DO NOT make light of these circumstances I realized that in order to be better, you have to do better, so I was sure not going to morose and pathetic.

Our assignment was to watch a film hosted by a Priest, Father Warren who discussed why people drink (water = need; soda = taste/pleasure; alcohol = curiosity and later euphoria). It was funny indeed as he reminded his audience (and those of us watching the film) how when we all took our very first "shot" of liquor how it burned going down and how our eyes watered and we asked for a chaser of some sort. That alcohol wasn't in the NEED category, it was in the "acquired taste" category.

He also proceeded to discuss how normally we operate in the I over E method (Intellect over Emotion) but when we create I over E + A (alcohol) the formula gets turned on its head and becomes E over I; in other words our emotions take over - whether you become a happy drunk, an angry drunk, whatever emotion is driving you at that time is going to magnified - and our intellect gets thrown out of the window.

So when alcoholism progresses in ones life and a person is subject to tremors, cessation of euphoric feelings while drinking, hiding the habit from others, hiding the alcohol from ourselves but keeping a supply within reach, harboring unreasonable resentments, allowing nameless fears and anxieties to manifest, then a final collapse of the alibi system the following forumula becomes paramount: E/I+A.A. (alcoholics anonymous) restores sanity.

Hope you all have a great day!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mookie!

I am not familiar with that program but it sounds great and I'm glad you had a good time.

I read a book about quitting drinking by Allen Carr and he also talked about how alcohol is an acquired taste and I remember the first time I drank, we were drinking Southern Comfort...nasty stuff. And I was trying to be cool but God it tasted awful. Now I can't even stand the smell of the stuff, it was like my eyes (or nose in this case) were opened:-)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

It looks like the program will benefit you greatly. IMO being recovered from alcoholism/addiction is about learning sober living skills.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like it's going to be of great help to you. I've been seeing an addiction counselor for three years now and she's helped me tremendously.