Notices

Anyone from UK?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks Shaun I would definately like to talk to you more. I have stuff I must do this morning so if you send me a private message (as a reminder) then I should have more time later after work or over the weekend to do some proper talking rather than browsing and random posting. I am aware of support things like that available in this area I once started something but it was rubbish so I got put off. Maybe I should get a sponsor and start the steps - I just havent felt like I am entitled to yet cos I keep relapsing and havent managed a fortnight being sober yet. Or maybe thats an alkie excuse and in reality im a bit scared of those steps........
Old 11-05-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie

and greetings from Liverpool. Plenty of Brits here, as you've seen.

I'm only a few days ahead of you and all you say resonates with me. There is hope - so many stories of lasting recovery on this site and endless support.

Good luck, looking forward to your posts.

SM
Old 11-05-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

[QUOTEMaybe I should get a sponsor and start the steps - I just havent felt like I am entitled to yet cos I keep relapsing and havent managed a fortnight being sober yet. Or maybe thats an alkie excuse and in reality im a bit scared of those steps.....][/QUOTE]...

Not entitled..??................your exactly the right material because you may have proved to yourself that you cannot remain sober under your own steam.

It appears to me..you have lost the power of choice.......meaning you dont wanna drink but yet you find yourself pissed way to often....

Whats it like when you haven't got a drink?.......does it nag and nag away at you.?...if i wasn't drinking it i was obsessed with it.

ive done those agencies....ive done hospitals and therapists.
locking me up didnt work either.......drunk every time.

my experience is i open the BB with a sponsor.......id had enough and wanted to die......truly i wanted to end it all.

i didnt drink again......i lost the desire to pick up a drink.....and i havent felt the need for 10 years.......
but that is just for starters ...my life and thinking has changed.
kinda like being re-born i guess..

thats my experience.....some find other ways work.........just didnt for me.
i lost everything and lived on the street.....thinking it was a moral fibre thing.
the steps taught me it was nothing to do with moral fibre.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Cant believe I havent replied to this yet - its cos I read it then had to leave for work then forgot......

Thank you shaun and sobermax.

Yes it does nag at me alot when I am not drinking - much more so when I decide I am going to lay off for a few days then know I will at the weekend - that always means I end up drinking daily. When I am trying to quit completely its not quite as much but it always knows how to get me at the right time to make me crack.

Anyhow I have woken up sober on a Saturday which is a rarity for me so feeling positive. There is a meeting that I really like not too far away tomorrow afternoon so my intention is to make it to this one.

I need to get on the steps and get a sponsor dont I? Being 100% honest I keep putting it off - we arranged the work xmas party yesterday and I kind of already know I will drink that night. It will be a great acheivement for me to not drink until then - over a month away. However I am concentrating on one day at a time right now and not trying to thing about the work thing yet otherwise I know what will happen. If I make it till then without a drink maybe I will decide to pull a sicky when it comes up - damn I must stop thinking about it!! Its not easy when they will be talking about it at work now everyday until it happens.

Sober today - meeting tomorrow - thats my current plan.

I had to change my name to protect my ID and I also need to get one of the posts in this thread deleted so sorry if this causes any confusion!

All the best to everyone.

xxx
Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Debbie,

Welcome. I'm Annette, just a jump over the puddle in Dublin. Glad you found this wonderful community, I know I am greatful for this lifeline.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Pumpkin - welcome on day one. Great to have a sober Saturday, isn't it? You don't need to drink today - you can do this. Great that you're going to the meeting tomorrow, I'm going to my first one too.

All the best
vee
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks Vee - its actually my day two so wow - double it
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Oooh sorry hit send too soon - good luck at your meeting - its a big step the first one - hopefully you wont look back. Ive tried a few and some are better for me than others - the one tomorrow I have always loved I just feel a bit ashamed about not having shown my face there for such a long time.

Very best of luck to you Vee xx
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie

I'm from the UK.

Day one for me. Feeling very shaky today but hope to be able to speak more soon. Well done on day 2.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Stayin free - welcome and good luck to you - im wobbling at the mo so back in here for an inspiration fix xxx
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hello from rainy Peterborough, not far from you,
hang in there,
like your username, pumpkin soup? i love pumpkin pie, not sure about the soup lol.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm from Sunderland in England. Getting Sober is the best thing Ive done besides having Babies...lol.

I never ever thought I would go this long without a drink and I have refused a drink 3/4 times since getting Sober, I can actually call in My friends now while they are having a few and enjoy their company with a cup of tea, mind you, I only stay an hour because I cant stand to be around people who are tipsy or drunk and yet that's what I used to be like all the time..lol

I used to think Life would be a Boring Nightmare without getting drunk but in fact it is the opposite, I love it and I mean that 100%. Grit your teeth and give it a chance you will never look back xx
Old 11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Thanks Pumps - I am a little nervous about it.. These timezones really confuse me, so well done on day 2 or even 3! Go girl!

vee
Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hello my fellow (almost) Londoner!

You can find a lot of support here from anyone across the world but I do really understand how alcoholism presents a different problem in the UK. Booze, booze, booze everywhere! In every supermarket, 24 hours a day, my local newsagent starts serving at 6am!

Keep fighting the fight.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Hello my fellow (almost) Londoner!

You can find a lot of support here from anyone across the world but I do really understand how alcoholism presents a different problem in the UK. Booze, booze, booze everywhere! In every supermarket, 24 hours a day, my local newsagent starts serving at 6am!

Keep fighting the fight.
Hi

This makes it very hard.............You can't go anywhere without alcohol being shoved in your face............Even in our local garages, there are huge signs outside the door, showing what 'bargains' you can buy today!

In the supermarket you can't avoid alcohol by avoiding the alcohol isle...it's loaded at the end of each isle! And you can't watch TV without being bombarded with all the ad's..........not good
Old 11-07-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I ordered a takeaway today and they sent me a free bottle of red without telling me beforehand so I could decline! It lead to an awkward conversation with the delivery man.
Tesco Online definitely has it in for me, all the "top offers" are for booze and the bloomin' site has so much listed under my "favourites" section which is depressingly obviously calculated by the most frequently ordered items.
I hoping eventually somehow I will develop blinkers that will allow me to walk past such things without them even registering. It's a long way off but one can hope!

Originally Posted by Stayinfree View Post
Hi

This makes it very hard.............You can't go anywhere without alcohol being shoved in your face............Even in our local garages, there are huge signs outside the door, showing what 'bargains' you can buy today!

In the supermarket you can't avoid alcohol by avoiding the alcohol isle...it's loaded at the end of each isle! And you can't watch TV without being bombarded with all the ad's..........not good
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I know! The other day driving home from work, really really trying not to think about alcohol I see a giant Gin and Tonic advert. I don't even like Gin and Tonic but at that moment it's all I wanted.

It's not like they have ads with someone smoking a big splif or shooting up Heroin??? It's made so hard for us to give up.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm also from near London.
This is my day one and I'm struggling big-time. Reading as many posts on this forum as possible to keep me away from the fridge.

Good luck to us both.
(...and everyone else.)
Old 11-08-2010, 04:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Oh crisps - that is so mean, isn't it.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie, Im from the South, keep reading, keep posting, keep smiling there is loads of wicked advice on here, and, as you can see a wealth of support for you good luck. Just a thought if you know you find it hard dropping into Tescos for dinner, can you either buy a bulk load of shopping say once a week, taking your daughter hopefully seeing her will stop you from going down the alcohol asile, or internet shopping xx