Notices

Bad bad dreams

Old 11-03-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad bad dreams

Went through the initial withdrawal then had two really good days however got a vomiting virus and have spent the majority of time in bed. I'm sleeping so much which initially was good as with the early withdrawal symptoms I lost a lot of sleep however now all I dream about is drink. If I didn't feel so ill I'm sure I would have gone out and bought some booze.

Had a dream this morning that I was in the cinema watching a film it was near the end and an usher approached me and told me to stop drinking. I told her the film was nearly finished so it didn't matter. I was told that if I didn't stop drinking I would have to leave. I left and finished my drink then cried as I didn't see the end of the film. Sounds silly I know but it has really disturbed me. Can't cope with all these thoughts of drinking. I'm dreaming about drink and as soon as I wake up I want to go to the shop and buy some wine. If didn't have this bug think I'd be back on the booze now.

Rant/moan over
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Alcoholism wants you drunk and so it will do whatever to get that to happen, including dreams, and whatever more. Detoxing is not a funtime. I did mine under supervision. I was just to far gone to do it on my own. It was a tough and horrible week. Wanting to be drunk and not wanting to be drunk all at the same time is not where any of us want to be of course.

Since you seem to have gotten through the most of your detox, you'll want to start setting up some things to get you through recovery now, as you'll need some help with that, I hope you realize. What do you have going on for helping you recover?

For the dreams, let them go. Dreams are dreams. How you feel, and what your thinking, today, in real time, that is far more important now than anything that happened to you last night, yesterday, or whatever. You can manage your thinking and feelings enough to get into a good recovery if you take the time to realize you need to keep moving forward. Forget the past for now and just stay honest with yourself and what your doing today. Are you alone or do you have some help?

Rob

Stay with it
Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chan

Bad dream are fairly common for most of us. They're not pleasant, but they are only dreams.

I'm sorry you feel so vulnerable - have you thought of face to face support, be it AA SMART or some other group?

I think support is vital. This could be make or break for you Chan...maybe give it some thought for when you're back on your feet?

D
Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yeah....early sobriety plays all kinds of games with us.

I know this.....once you get some sober time.....the dreams (and everything else) get a lot easier as we figure things out.

Be kind to yourself. We're glad you're here.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies guys. I knew the 'mental' struggle would come at some point. Think it feels worse as I'm unwell at moment. If I can get through this without a drink, think I'm more than on my way.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Chan,

How many days has it been? The bad dreams go away if you stay sober. I had bad dreams but I also had dreams where I was trying to do the simplest task, like making a sandwich, and everything would go wrong - couldnt find 2 full slices of bread, couldn't get the mayo jar open, etc. I had tons of dreams like this.

Eventually they went away.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Chan, I know this must have been a disturbing dream for you - but doesn't it beautifully show what drinking does? It makes you miss the end of your film (life).

Wishing you strength during the day and sweet dreams tonight!

vee