Notices

Starting again

Old 11-02-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting again

Hi,

I am new to this website although this isnt my first attempt to get dry - I hope this time it will be my last and that I can improve my life which is becoming hell due to my addiction to booze.

I am on my 2nd day of sobriety - still feeling bruised and sore in every way after my last few weeks heavy drinking every night ending in a weekend of almost non stop drinking which has left me feeling like death.

I have to go and get ready for work now (so lucky I have a job) but am really excited about this site and would love to spend longer on here. I think an online community like this will inspire and help me alot. I will get to AA meetings when I can as well but at the moment I need a few more days out of the public eye while I lick my wounds and try to stop feeling shaky. I will go to work and do what is necessary for my family but that is going to take all of my energy at this time.

I hope I can make some new friends and help others in this situation - I will share more of my story later and hopefully report on how I am getting through another day not wanting to drink. I know I will want to drink again when I feel better so the more I get down on here now I can look back on to help me overcome the cravings when they appear.

I wish everyone on here the best of luck and will be rushing to check for any reponse as soon as I can this evening.

DG x
Old 11-02-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Debbie!! You will most definitely find support here -- this is a wonderful community of caring friends. I'm glad you found us!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbie,

Welcome!

I'm glad you have decided to live a sober life.

It's scary at the outset, but you are not alone.

I have found that SR is an amazing and inspirational place, so keep reading and posting.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbie

You'll certainly make friends here

Good to have you with us - welcome!
D
Old 11-02-2010, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks all so much - I couldnt resist coming back in before leaving for work - I get addicted to everything! Hopefully an addiction to this place will help me keep away the other one the really BAD one.

See you all later - I have lots of questions - how do online meetings work and about the steps to name just two.

DG x
Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Debbie! Glad to see you here:-) I don't know about anyone else but for me, I was so sick the first week that I didn't really do anything outside of the bare minimum.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can help you as much as this site has helped me.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome Debbie! I became addicted to this site quite quickly, lol. Glad you're here!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So nice to feel all the mutual support coming from this site, I can see its going to be a life saver for me when I am feeling weak and cant get to a meeting. Im still trying to work out how to get around the site and what to do first - there seems an awful lot going on Im not sure where to go next!

I havent tried the chat room yet - when I have been on it looks like there arent many using it although I could be mistaken - I think it would be a major help to chat to someone "live" when the urge for a drink is getting strong. Does anyone have any experience with the chat rooms?

I have to go make dinner now - have managed to do a fair bit today considering how crap I still feel and I hope I can carry on and feel a little better each day as the week goes on - only thing is I am a bit scared of feeling really well again because then I will want to have a drink - its always the same I dont know how to stop it and I am very weak and have always given in to it eventually.

DG x
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Debbie, welcome to SR and good for you for having the desire to live a better life. There are people here 24/7 from all over the world that you can reach out to, stay strong.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hey, welcome!

I haven't used the chat much lately. It's hit or miss when you find people on there. There are scheduled meetings that take place too. I find the boards are usually pretty responsive, and even at 3am you have the Australians hanging around so... never a dull moment.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Debbie!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Debbie!...and welcome to SR
I am happy for you that you have decided to live a sober life..
This is a great place, lots of support; and truly wonderful people...we are not a glum lot
You might want to check out the stickies at the top of the page...
look forward to seeing more of you!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The people here have helped me a great deal. You've come to the right place.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is an amazing group of people from all walks of life. We all have that one thing in common...a desire for recovery from addiction. So glad you have joined us!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
31/10/10

Hi Debbie. I too, am in the early days (doing day 4 today). All the best on your journey.
vee
Old 11-02-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Isaiah View Post
Hey, welcome!

I haven't used the chat much lately. It's hit or miss when you find people on there. There are scheduled meetings that take place too. I find the boards are usually pretty responsive, and even at 3am you have the Australians hanging around so... never a dull moment.

So true ^

Welcome to SR Debbie,
I work until 2 or 3 am , so this place was a real lifesaver early on;
....still is !!
Thank goodness for the Europeans and Aussies here, ...this place wouldn't be the same without'm.

Hope you'll find what you need here.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it's a great idea to come here more. I know it helps me and many others.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Debbie. SR helped me get sober after a lifetime of drinking. I've never looked back since signing on here, terrified and sick, over 3 yrs. ago. Some of the things people said to me early on are words I live by. They've pulled me through my darkest times. Words can't ever thank those people enough - they literally saved my life.

You seem to have a great attitude, and that's wonderful. It took me a few days to feel any sort of hope at all, but I kept coming back here and gradually the upbeat and encouraging support got through to me, & I found the strength to get well.

Please let us know how you're doing - congratulations on your new life.