Notices

New to SR

Old 11-02-2010, 05:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome MD,

Good to have you here and it is a fantastic support system. Can be a real life-line at times.

Time to get sober friends. Also if you wife is not a problem drinker then there should be no problem having an alcohol free home. It might be necessary for your sobriety in the early days.

Annette
Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi MD! There's lots of good advice here. This website changed everything for me, and I hope it can do the same for you. I relate to the inner suffering you explain experiencing after drinking, which is the #1 reason I quit. And I like you had built my social life around drinking events, but I have found that those who were good friends are still around, and my life has opened up to healthier social interactions all around. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Originally Posted by Awayfromit View Post
Welcome MD,

Good to have you here and it is a fantastic support system. Can be a real life-line at times.

Time to get sober friends. Also if you wife is not a problem drinker then there should be no problem having an alcohol free home. It might be necessary for your sobriety in the early days.

Annette
I have to say 'ditto' to this. My husband drinks (about once a month, 3 beers max), but is not an alcoholic, or problem drinker. It's been absolutely no problem for him not to have alcohol in our home, simply because he doesn't even miss it, and it helped me not to have it around.

I'm glad you're here, I know all too well about those day after feelings of anxiety, sadness, dread.. but those things fade, it's critical that you have a plan in place for when you're out of that funk and feeling fantastic, and want to celebrate.. or as many of us do, become convinced that you really didn't have an issue, and start trying to 'moderate' or control things again. (I haven't seen that work out well for anyone here!).
Welcome!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thank you all for the amazing support. I am now on day 4 and will be attending a meeting tonight.

It's nice to know that so many others have shared in the same experience.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
31/10/10

HI MD31, thanks for your post - I too have this strange sense of guilt and shame the next day, even if I didn't (or maybe I just can't remember) doing anything "bad". I read in one of the posts here, that this feeling of shame is something the normal people don't have. Maybe it's not the feeling ashamed of a specific night but just the general feeling of shame and disappointment in oneself.
I am yet to learn these things.

Vee