Notices

Hmmmmm

Old 10-31-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm

Finding parties easier and easier to deal with.

Went to 3 clubs last week and didn't drink once. Was my gfs bday yday so went to a party. Still didn't drink.

So why... when I should be happy and congratulating myself on being sober and healthy... do I feel more depressed than I ever have done before in my life?

Can someone, anyone explain this to me please? Because I'm really starting to consider whether my sobriety is worth this f**king awful mindset?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

BSU....this may not be your problem...but nothing would have depressed me more in early sobriety than going out to clubs or parties or whatever and watching everyone else party hard and not drink myself.

I needed time to embrace my sobriety - time to accept I really wanted to be that way - before I did that. That may be part of the problem....worth a thought anyway?

...or...and I know I've said this before to you, but you may be actually depressed.

Have you thought of seeing a Dr? Any depression bad enough to make us think twice about being sober needs to be dealt with, BSU.

D
Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Any depression bad enough to make us think twice about being sober needs to be dealt with, BSU.
I agree. If your mood stays so depressed too much longer I'd see a doctor for an assessment. Depression can be managed with meds and/or counseling, as well as other tactics.

In my early sobriety my moods were all over the map. I got help for it and it did get better. Please don't give up on your sobriety over bad feelings. And remember, there's nothing so bad that drinking can't make it worse.

It might also be due to PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome), which is the body and brain healing and getting back to normal functioning. Dee has a link to it but you can google it for explanation of the signs.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I'm with Dee on this topic.

I would not have been happy going out to parties and socializing with people with alcohol.

I think that big changes are needed in early sobriety and finding new ways to live life.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BiggestScrewUp View Post
Finding parties easier and easier to deal with.

Went to 3 clubs last week and didn't drink once. Was my gfs bday yday so went to a party. Still didn't drink.

So why... when I should be happy and congratulating myself on being sober and healthy... do I feel more depressed than I ever have done before in my life?

Can someone, anyone explain this to me please? Because I'm really starting to consider whether my sobriety is worth this f**king awful mindset?
Recovery is about changing life-style.
If you continue to do the same things but don't drink you are not in recovery. A common saying is
" dry drunk "
Happiness begins once you start to make change
there are 12 suggested steps to help you find this
happiness.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
BSU....this may not be your problem...but nothing would have depressed me more in early sobriety than going out to clubs or parties or whatever and watching everyone else party hard and not drink myself.

I needed time to embrace my sobriety - time to accept I really wanted to be that way - before I did that. That may be part of the problem....worth a thought anyway?

...or...and I know I've said this before to you, but you may be actually depressed.

Have you thought of seeing a Dr? Any depression bad enough to make us think twice about being sober needs to be dealt with, BSU.

D
I embrace my sobriety by being around sober people
Old 10-31-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, its good you didn't drink of course, but for me too, it would be depressing to find myself around so much alcoholic memories of my past boozing. Just being all sad and frustratred about it would be enough to have me either walk out for better times being free and sober, or get to drinking and own it for what it is: me not getting on with my sober life and wanting to be drunk. Denial is a strange thing, and something I've learned to respect and do something about when I think and feel as you do now. Best wishes going forward and I hope you get past this awful presnt mindset in good time and with a sober mindset. Sobriety is much more than what you are now experiencing! Work through it!

Rob
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

BSU,
Look up "dry drunk" on a google. I am finding that just removing the chemical doesn't change the old habits and old routines from kicking in, minus the alcohol. Iam on day 40 today, and in danger of getting depressed because while I have no desire to drink or smoke, I am falling back into not doing much different in my life. I started out with a bang and felt great for the first few weeks and actually went to the gym and pulled a chest muscle the first day, after doing all the other nautilus machines just fine. Now that the novelty has worn off of my sobriety, I haven't been back to the gym or doing walks and reverted back to hours just reading, and worse, my pups have been relegated to using the very large back yard which is fenced, in lieu of the long walks we used to take off leash on the property. I used to walk and take them for walks when I was drinking!

I am so out of shape that at my age it will hurt and has hurt every step of the way to get back in enough shape to be able to do things I could just two years ago. I had two knee surgeries and have back and neck injuries that cause a lot of pain, and self medicating is what started the whole thing, as I don't like pain meds. Didn't like them before I became an alcoholic, while I was an alcoholic, and not after starting recovery. Today I stayed in my robe all day and stayed in.

I am finding it isn't enough to be dry, as I will end up a dry drunk if I don't get off my axe and get with the program! I am also gaining weight from eating more and drinking so much soft drinks.

I can see where if I don't I could end up a relapse waiting to happen.

It's like after a big party, the cleanup makes it almost not worthwhile.

I have quit and that is a major accomplishment. I am happy because that is the thing I thought I could not do!

Now I am finding out that I am cleaning up the mess left behind and starting to procrastinate. It doesn't do me much good to be sober and die of a heart attack from being overweight, does it? Well I am pretty trim for my age and only gained a few pounds so far. I am not depressed yet so before I do get that way from my own sheer laziness, I need to finish cleaning up and change a lot of my daily routine.

My sobriety isn't that fragile, I needed a wake up call and thanks for giving it to me. My sobriety is like getting in a car to go someplace and then being too lazy to turn the key and get started, but sitting there admiring my ride. I can fix that. I can and will do that. I am eating healthy but too many lifesavers and snacks. Not enough exercise, and my pain mangement is working pretty well already.

I need to progress further too. Now you might have a medical issue so please by all means see a doc if you can't do anything to come out of it. I am powerless over alcohol, but the rest is well within my means, (and a little deep heating rub for the sore muscles.) And perhaps well within your means too, with a little help from our friends and maybe even medical contacts.