Notices

hello Im new here too

Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile hello Im new here too

I have given up drinking quite a few times over the years and this time really want to shake it off for good.
I drank nearly an entire bottle of whisky on friday night and was sick in the garden, i was so ill all day on saturday that i wanted to be dead.
Now there is something terribly wrong with that behaviour in a 48 year old grown woman, mother of two grown up children.
I feel ashamed and very serious about staying sober. My boyfriend is being very supportive and i feel humbled and stupid today.
Today is halloween, the celts used to celebrate it, and tomorrow, 1st of november as the end of summer, an appropriate date for me to count as my day one of the rest of my sober and more successful life.
thank you for reading, i hope i find support on here and help to support others.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Welcome. You'll find this is great site for support.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support and useful information here.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome isitpukka

I know you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

This is a wonderful place. Welcome!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and you don't have to go through that again.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome.....

Congratulations on seeking a sober future.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Isitpukka))) - welcome to SR!

At 44 years old, I was locked in jail thanks to my crack addiction. I slipped, then relapsed, but SR has been a huge part of my recovery. For me, I had "addictive behaviors" for years, so though I was plenty old enough to know better, I had to get sick and tired of being miserable to find recovery.

I recently celebrated my 49th b'day and 3-1/2 years of recovery. We have a lot of life yet to live, and doing it in recovery is way better than waking up with regrets or questions of what we did the night before".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 10-31-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Isitwha?,
Just kidding. Welcome to a great site and the Celts are outside here throwing eggs at cars and giving the poor police the runaround! Oh and massive "crowbangers".
Good to have you here.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. I hope you start feeling physically better soon. The harder part is getting over the shame but, as someone once told me, "Get over it! Shame is a useless emotion." We all have our regrets, to be sure, but you must focus on the here and now. You must focus on today, and when tomorrow comes, you can focus on that then. I encourage you to give AA a try, and when you do, follow directions (get a sponsor, do 90 meetings in 90 days, etc.). If you really want sobriety, you must be willing (though you don't have to like it) to go to any lengths. Congratulations on your brave decision. You are still young and have many more healthy (and happy) years in front of you. Best to you.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Isitpukka!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Isit! I'm sure everyone here can relate to your post (and there's lots of us moms here, too!). Alcoholism affects so many people: young, old, smart, wealthy, poor, male, female, whatever...... so don't feel like it's some kind of personal failing.

If we can do get sober, you can too. It's all about putting recovery first and finding what works for you (this place, AA, etc.) then working it like h*** one day at a time. Glad you're here!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Question Thank you all so much

That was so nice to read what you all said.
It has been the weekend from hell, just feeling so bloody ill. Still feel entirely washed out this morning. The power of the damn stuff....I read through other posts and one person said, if you don't drink it, it has no power. How true.
Just got to start the old battle of not drinking it.
I met an ex heroin addict a few years ago, he said it is easier to give up heroin than it is to give up alcohol...how so? I asked....He said, I chose to move away from all supplies of heroin and it's associations, alcohol is everywhere.
Isn't it just? from soap operas based around the pub to even old granny having one on Christmas day....
And what about all the little pet names that people have for the addiction....they say stuff like..lets just have a cheeky one....or, lets just have a warmer....justification too, ahrgh!
Yes, I will go to AA, I will do what they say, I have only ever been to one meeting last year and i found it moving and rather emotional in the face of such honesty.
My big question is how, oh how, do I get it fixed firmly in my head to absolute unbudging stubborness, that I cannot and do not and will not ever drink again...?
Should i avoid all drinking situations like it is the plague?
Thats what I did last time I was sober....
At the moment I am just remembering all the terrible times I have had on the stuff. And there has been more than I ever cared to remember...
Is there any such thing as a sophisticated drink?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
xuse

i agree its hard when its everywhere
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi isitpukka

yeah drinkings prevalent...ubiquitous even...but I know I can't drink, and that makes all the difference now.

Peanuts are everywhere too but if I was allergic to peanuts, I wouldn't eat them -
so it's a particular kind of madness that makes me think I can drink and not suffer from that decision.

There may be a sophisticated drink, but not for me - I was never a sophisticated drunk, y'know?

It's a life change - but it's one I've never regretted...it is hard - but you're never alone here. Always a ton of support

I'd advise you though to avoid drinking situations for a while yeah - get your sober sea legs first...

D
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

For me it helps to see alcohol for what it truly is...poison. if you think I am being dramatic think about how much pure alcohol it takes to kill a person. All the sophisticated drinks are just window dressing to cover up the fact that we are drinking a powerful toxin.

This helps me when I think of alcohol as sophisticated ...maybe it can help you:-)
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

wow

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi and welcome!

For me it helps to see alcohol for what it truly is...poison. if you think I am being dramatic think about how much pure alcohol it takes to kill a person. All the sophisticated drinks are just window dressing to cover up the fact that we are drinking a powerful toxin.

This helps me when I think of alcohol as sophisticated ...maybe it can help you:-)
that is so uselful! I just looked up ethanol on wikipedia, mon dieu!! I took some notes but will refer to it a lot. It is simply flavoured or dressed up poison as you say!

Really, there is no such thing as a sophisticated look with a glass of poison in your hand eh?
Please, please don't encourage me to look up how much nicotine would kill me, not right now!!! Ha! One poison elimated at a time else I'll crack up completely!!
Ps, i love your Joni mitchell quote, shes great.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Isitpukka,
Good to see you on here today. One day at a time. I got a bit carried away with day counts and what I would do at 90 days etc. I am finding it easier to just think, "I am not going to drink today"
AA is good (great), but please read the Big Book sooner rather than later. I was thinking, " I am busy NOT drinking, can't be reading the BB." Well, it is all in there.
Warning, you may have to read each page a few times!
Keep in touch, and today, we will not drink. We can do this one day.