Notices

ahh taking some medicine, need advice

Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ahh taking some medicine, need advice

I have had a cold for the past 3 days. I've been waiting for it to go away, it's gotten a little better but hasn't gone away yet. I've been putting of meds because on of my addictions was benedryl (I took it to sleep and to numb me). Anyway, I broke down today and bought some theraflu cold medicine that you put in water and drink. I've been drinking one and I feel horrible about it. I feel like I'm cheating - I'm fighting a cold but for some reason that doesn't justify it for me.

I plan on taking it when I should, and only until the cold is gone but I feel guilty and scared for some reason. Maybe I should just throw it away and wait for the cold to pass? I don't know what to do. I don't know if I'm exaggerating.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel your pain...I have been sick for 3 days now too. I know there are different schools of thought on this one. Considering you took benedryl addictively I think you need to use extra caution. I am curious what people have to say as well. I am taking Vicks cough syrup myself.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a third year medical student and will answer as best as I can for you. Please do not take this as definite advice.

There are 3 main active ingredients in theraflu. 1: Acetominophen-this is Tylenol EXACTLY, no different 2: Phenylepherine Hydrocloride-this is a decongestant and MAY act as a MILD stimulant. I doubt that this ingredient has much addiction potential at all 3. Pheniramine Maleate-This is an anti-histamine like (diphendyramine) which is the product found in Benadryl AND common OTC sleep aids. I'm not sure how similar these two compounds are chemically...but suffice to say...the withdrawal symptoms associatted with the cessation of anti-histamine use are VERY minimal. The most prevelant being difficulty in sleeping for a few days. But this drug does not stimulate the brains pleasure centers like most other drugs do. I wouldn't at all consider you taking theraflu to be a "relapse" by any stretch.

However, if you are that concerned about it....you can go to the store and buy some Tylenol and an anti-congestant and you will have all the ingredients found in your theraflu minus the anti-histamine.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you FreeParticle. I was looking for something very mild that would help with my headache/runny nose symptoms. Something to kick the cold faster.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just some things I try when I don't feel good....neti pot, Vitamin C, steamy shower, hot tea. I'm sure these are all familiar to you. Hope you feel better soon. And please don't feel bad about the theraflu! You are sick - you deserve to take care of yourself!!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with LM. I think you're good to go on the Theraflu. VERY VERY small addiction/withdrawal potential with the involved ingredients. Use as instructed.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel for you. I am going through the same thing and and took thera flu last week. I felt funky so I didn't use it more than twice but I got myself to the doctor because I new i couldn't let this illness settle in my chest.
Typical doctor wanted to prescribe cough med and I said what kind? He said such and such with Codiene, I said you know I can't take that he said oh, right, right. I came out of there safely with an antibiotic and cough suppressant suitable for addicts.
It sucks being sick but it feels great to be sober and responsible and to want to be back to 100% as soon as possible. Life on the couch is only ok the first day or so.
I hope you get better soon.
SH
Old 10-30-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder to all...our medical advice rule

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
None of us are doctors.
Support and experience only please. Do not give or ask for, medical advice.

D
Old 10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support . In the first 2 days I drank a lot of green tea/liquids, use a humidifier, took warm baths and I've been taking a lot of vitamin C and immune boosting vitamins. Hopefully I'll take theraflu a few times and be done with the cold. I've started to get a fever and the tylenol in it should help.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just remember that the theraflu will not actually make the cold go away quicker....it will just mask the symptoms of the cold......
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're happy with your choice Lilly....as always, see your doctor if you're worried or if symptoms persist

as you're satisfied, I'll close this thread.

D