Notices

Newcomer...hello, help?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer...hello, help?

So i'm 22. Been hardcore drug addict for 4 years, drug of choice heroin...but u name it and i did it. Recently decided to get sober, been sober for about 2 months now. I think alot of my addiction was due to self medicating because ive been through many traumas and hurt.
Now that i've started to process all my feelings, im feeling stronger day by day and more and more confident and gotten over the trauma and such. The only problem is that i had my license suspended and have a broken hand and i have no contact with former drug friends. So i'm literally stuck at my house all day. Which was not a problem so much when i was getting over trauma cus i wanted to be secluded and alone to meditate and process but now im at the point i want to get out and do stuff and live life again/interact with people. I dont have the social interaction i crave and i cant exercise or be active its a huge trigger for me to want to use again (however i can ignore these, its just a pain). Then i'm worried, because i love to party and have fun, (live hard and party hard) that i wont be able to achieve the "high" im looking for naturally. I mean, to put it plain i just love to party. Sex, drugs, rock n roll...i thought my party days were behind me and i had gotten serious about life...but as soon as i healed i started wanting to party, have fun and live life again which may just be a natural reaction cus life has sucked so bad for the past 2 years. I mean sure i can do sober friends, sober activities like i used to before drugs...but it just doesnt seem as fun or appealing. Any suggestions/opinions/advice?

EDIT: Love partying with drugs etc for the adrenaline rush and feeling alive (adrenaline junkie)...which i may be able to duplicate through working out and exercise, yet to figure out due to broken hand. Before I did drugs i worked out like crazy. Just wanted to add that.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi itsthejae

The party call was hard for me too - I'm an alcoholic but everytime I got sober I found it boring. Looking back it's not surprising why - I was either moping around my house or trying to hang with my party hard mates and not drinking.

I wanted to be sober so I had to change my life - it's as simple as that. I'm a bit older than you, but I found I wasn't actually really the party animal I thought I was - I just liked the excuse to get wasted...I actually find a lot of happiness and contentment in a quiet simple life.

The highs I used to chase were always empty ones. The joys I have now are real and tangible and I can trust them to endure. That makes all the difference to me.

But as I say, I'm old enough to be your dad lol. We have young people here too and I know you'll hear from them too.

Also check out our substance abuse forum for more experience

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Last edited by Dee74; 10-27-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Itsthejae

I had a lot of amazing times partying too. I also had the nights where I hurt myself or others, blacked out and screwed up, put others lives at risk while drinking and driving, messed up relationships with friends, family, coworkers, and school professors, and blew through hundreds of dollars in days. It's easy to romance the past but addiction leads one way - down.

I understand though: I love adrenaline too. So I skydive and scuba dive and take random trips. I may try stand-up comedy...I've always wanted to but was too busy getting drunk. Shoot, man, just get out there and do something new that you've always wanted to do. It might be tougher to get that "high" in sobriety but only because we don't know where to look for it after years of drinking/drugging.

Welcome to SR
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hI Itsthejae

Ive partied all my life, any excuse for me to drink and a good laugh! I never ever thought I could possibly be happy without Drink when infact it was the Drink that made me depressed, looking back now and how I feel today I realise that my new sober life is making my life more worthwhile and a lot more happier.
To give up Drink/Drugs you really gotta want it, it took me years before I realised that I couldn't do it no more, enough was enough I was killing myself.

I'm surprised my Liver isn't Shot, Ive been Lucky after the amount I used to drink. Have a go at it Long Term and find other things to do, myself, I'm very into Spiritulism so I spend most of my time meditating and reading books, there will be always something to take the place of getting wasted and drug taking, I find I'm so busy these days doing stuff Ive neglected and I'm loving it...

Good luck with what you decide and well done for your good efforts up to now, keep us posted and remember we are all here for you.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear that you have been sober for 2 months!

I can tell you that I couldn't go back to my life as it was. I changed a lot in my life, a lot about myself. I no longer crave the drama or the high, but life is still fun. You can still do things outside with a broken hand, I think. At least, you can walk, get some exercise and feel better physically.

Take a look around here and you'll find lots of young people who have ideas to offer.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itsthejae View Post
Any suggestions/opinions/advice?

Welcome to SR.

My advice would be to find a recovery plan of some kind, any kind. And stick to it.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you all for the replies, they have been helpful and insightful. I know i am on the right path and it will take time to settle back into a sober lifestyle, feels good to have the support of this community to give me encouragement when i am having doubts. Thank you all very much!