Notices

Where's your gift, what's your gift?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where's your gift, what's your gift?

OK, so life's thrown you a few curves and you've slipped into booze big time. I did it, I know. It happened without my permission.

So, then your life spirals out-of-control and you try to get off the booze, but then, what's left?

You try AA and it helps, or maybe not, but then what?

The question comes to mind, what about me?

Recovery to me is discovering who I am, not the false persona I tried to maintain for countless years, but who am I really?

I've recently began to discover that the true me lies in my hands. Let me explain. I've been a carpenter/cabinetmaker for many years and I lost track of that years ago, mainly because I thought I "should be" something else. I lost pride in who I am. I retired, more out of health and wealth reasons than any others, because I felt set for "life". But, you know, God has other plans. No Dallas, don't mention that "God" word, but I must, because I'm finally beginning to realize that "God" gave me a special talent, one that most men I know can't do and that is I'm a pretty damn good carpenter, better than most carpenters I've met. I've met some great carpenters in my time and still admire them, but the ones I've met lately kinda make me cringe. I'm beginning to see why the guy I apprenticed with wanted to see my hands during my first interview. When he first asked me that, I thought he was a little weird, but now I know why, a couple decades later.

You see, I firmly believe that God has a plan for us, whether we believe it or not is up to us, but the plan remains. I didn't always believe this, for I was too drunk to think about what God might have in mind, but since I've been staying focused on recovery and letting life develop without booze, I'm discovering that people like the gift God gave me, and that all I have to do is show up and let the gift of building express itself then my life is full each day.

This to me is what recover is all about, finding out who you are and letting that be expressed in your life each day and not making a "big deal" of it. Life just kinda comes to you full force and you live it the best you can, with little applause or recognition.

And when time allows, you go fishing or play golf, or just hug the next kid or grownup next to you, and feel good inside, without a bottle of booze to screw things up for ya.

I love you guys and gals, you've made my life so much better today. And I truly hope you find your gift today!!
Thanks for being here.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FS, I am glad you have found your way and thank you for sharing this. Put a pretty big smile on my face
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! You just made my day...or sleepless sick night as the case may be:-) I would love to see your work sometime...maybe one of the reasons you drank was because a part of you knew you weren't doing what you were suppossed to:-)

You've reminded me that God gave me a gift...now if he would just hurry up and show me what I'm supposed to do with it...lol:-)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Excellent!! I've always longed to be good with my hands--unfortunately, my do-it-yourself projects show that this is one gift with which I've not been blessed (oh, and I can't drink, either) (oh WELL).

I can retire in a couple of years, and I'm casting about for something completely different to do (can't live on my pension alone). I've got a couple of ideas rolling around and I'm starting to take baby steps toward exploring them.

Love the fact that you've rediscovered this for yourself!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What an awesome post! Thank you for that.

My buddy, Mark, is a wonderful carpenter, too...and has the same 'complaints' you do about the lack of pride in woodworking these days. I am so very envious of your obvious talent and I do hope you get back to it and create beauty with your hands. I cannot think of much that is more rewarding....except perhaps donating those talents to a worthy cause.

Have a blessed day -- you have surely blessed mine.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My gift, every day, is another day of life! Was too blind to see it before but now I see it clearly. And boy am I enjoying it, curve balls and all.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wonderful post - thank you.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Great post! To be honest though, you did lose me on the God bits

What you're saying is so true; that everybody has the potential to excel at one thing or another. There are many different kinds of intelligences, not just the kind rated by IQ tests, and the task is for each of us to discover what it is.

I know who and what I am, and that's a large format fine art nature photographer.

My new darkroom is over half finished, but I have to complete a bunch of work on our house first. For some reason, that was neglected over the last couple years as my drinking took over...

My recent realization is that my darkroom should be completed as soon as possible. I have decades of negatives from BC's north coast wilderness, including many from a six month sea kayak trip along the length of BC's coastline. These images could be very helpful in the campaign against Enbridge's crude oil pipeline and supertanker port proposal for my home town of Kitimat. Yes, the same Enbridge that spilled 3.8 million litres into the Kalamazoo River this summer.

They plan to pump 82 million litres a day through a 1,100 km pipeline and have 225 supertankers a year zigzag their way through the narrow entrances to Douglas Channel, then 60 miles up to Kitimat.

This area is no Yosemite...we don't get 2.5 million visitors a year...hardly anybody is aware of the incredible environment up here, or that before European's arrived this area had the highest population densities of hunter gatherer societies on the planet. That makes BC's coast and Alaska's southern panhandle the most hospitable environment on Earth for Humans.

My gift is that I've been to places few have or will ever see, and can put down on film and paper the feelings of amazement those places inspired within me. The time for me to share them is now.

Murray
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post Fire! how awesome to realize the gift(s) God gave you and to use the gift. To me there is nothing more beautiful and awe inspiring than watching someone create beauty with there hands (or other body parts when the don't have use of their hands). You are blessed.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok Murray...get to work! We are all going to hold you accountable now! :-D
Old 10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You found something about yourself that brings you closer to God. It was within you all along. Revel in it and cherish it forever. It's such a wonderful gift to behold, isn't it?

Congratulations!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post

This to me is what recovery is all about, finding out who you are and letting that be expressed in your life each day and not making a "big deal" of it.
I get that. I had lost respect, not just in myself, but in what I do...

Nice post Dallas... thanx