Notices

New to forum

Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thanks....me just worn out i think....took some benedyl ...first time in a long time with out a drink for a night.....going to cuddle with my Lab...an if anyone thinks I am a wimp...I was a army veteran an bush pilot..LOL
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

wow...who cares what I was...I am nothing now....but I wish you can see me cuddling my Lab...I made the first day! Me going to sleep night peeps
Old 11-01-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Benadryl will give you a hangovery feeling. Nothing at all to do with wimps.
Remember, you may not get much sleep. Do not obsess about sleep. Having said that, am going to bed. Late here. Good night all.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congratulations on day one being sober crashin! Hang in there, and if you think you need it see a doc, if not, it does get better every day after day three, at least for me. We've all been there bud.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Made it through the night ok. First night in maybe 5 years without a drink so I am pretty happy about that

Lost internet connection so I just starting reading a good book. Sleep not very good but the Benadryl did make me drowsy...very spaced out feeling. Woke up many times. Feel nervous and wired this morning but actually better than I thought.... and better than the "normal" hangover feeling.

I realize why I was so lonely last night....I didn't have my "friend" to keep me company. Time to lose that friend..

Today another day and I feel pretty positive...I appreciate the comments!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Crashin . . . I have just now read your post and wanted to say hi and welcome. Congratulations getting through the first day. You can do this!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi Crash, good for you on day 1! Letting go of that "friend" was the toughest part for me, my wine was my 'best friend' and other than my dog often my only "friend". There was a lot of sadness for me initially, I was at a loss w/o my vino and I mourned that loss for months. Once I began to realize the years I had wasted away with wine I began to think of it as my worst enemy and the healing began. STay strong and don't give up.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks so much Judy...your words ring so true.

OK day 2.. Exercised although felt weak and not in to it much. Not so hungry just restless and on edge I guess. Thinking about going out to the bookstore or something...
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Crashin I went to my Tuesday night AA meeting at 6:30. The same small group has a 4:00 Sunday afternoon discussion meeting, anmd Tuesday 12 step meeting. This past Fri/Sat/Sunday we had an AA regional convention so the Sunday meeting was off, and I showed up tonight and dang I forgot it was voting night and the room was filled with voting machines!! I'm doing fine on day 42, hope you went to the bookstore and got your sober mojo going strong, and join me and the others in getting some sanity back in our lives.

Day 2?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Itchy, you must be a deep soul indeed. Your comments are great.

No, I decided not to go anywhere. Just here because feel out of it....no drinking and looking toward day 3
Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Crashin, but I am just a run of the mill alcoholic. I just checked your profile and found that we share a lot of interests. Maybe it is because we are both into travel, scuba diving, and biology that we relate on a subliminal level. Retired AF too! And currently unemployed but that is a choice as I am retired at 58 again, retired before at 45, but the same boredom can creep in.

Perhaps you are finding that people are only as interesting, as they are interested. If so we have that in common too.

Remember when you were getting certified and in closed water had to lose and recover both your mask and regulator? I had difficulty getting past that one day of training and only that. But it made me feel the same way I felt facing each day of sobriety for the first couple of weeks. Could I remain calm and recover? Same with my first night dive with flashlights. I took awhile to stop thinking only about the black water and that beasties that could eat me could easily come up on me and do just that. Just remember the primary rule of scuba. You have to act instead of react. Reacting without thinking gets you drowned, or in this case relapsed. You can recover your sobriety, as easily as I recovered my mask and regulator. It was thinking about maybe failing to recover them that made it fearful and all the more likely. Now I laugh about that irrational fear, but still prefer my mask on and my regulator in my mouth.

Sobriety also requires a buddy system for us to check each other out for everything working and in place in case the other missed a vital item, and to be together underwater in case one had his lifeline fail, the other could share and buddy breathe with him. And when we rise out of our alcoholism, we have to make stops and not do it too fast, and take a bit of time to decompress along the ascent. Or we can get bent.

See what I mean? You knew all that too right? Since we both dive I guess we both have a tendency to be deep.

So check your air for smell and contaminants, and take a few breaths on the regulator so you know it is isn't stuck, because tomorrow is day three of decompression diving into sobriety. But you have more than one buddy here on this dive.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Crashin,
Just checking in. now that you have so many more hours in the day!
hope you are doing OK and not having too much of a hard time.
I like Itchy's analogy. Scuba, deep!
Boys are all the same. Break it down. Make it work.
An Irish saying. "A man who is afraid of the sea, very rarely drowns".
Old 11-03-2010, 04:35 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I am new to this forum and from kentucky

Hello My name is Stacey. I am a mother of wonderful sons. I have been an addict since I was 14 years old. Mostly drinking and meth. I got arrested when I was 30. I am Very thankful for that. I served a year in jail, and read the bible 4 times front to back. Also Learned so Much about myself and My family while in there. I went from Gothic to Christian. I have learned the hard way...Its not ALLL about me. Its about him our lord Jesus Christ. I am In A program called drug court now and 5 year probation. I am Nearly done with drug court 18 mth program. I Have been clean since May 2008. I Love the Clean anbd Sober life...also My kids Loves it too I attend to a group every week Called Celebrate recovery. It is a Christ based program something Like NA/AA Anyways I wanted to introduce myself and Hope to Make good friends and get good advice here and Able to give good advice.
Remember YESTERDAY is HISTORY
Tomorrow Is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi STacie, welcome to SR!
Old 11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome Stacie!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Stacie

D
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome Stacie. Stay strong, I am trying too.

Yes Ithcy, love your analogies! Nothing better than a buddy system and with diving it can potentially be life or death. Same thing with flying planes. I could give examples in both cases were a "buddy" saved my butt. I need a buddy system for what I am going through now...for sure.

Off topic, but I remember when I was diving a lot (and drinking a lot too) that we would say, no problem, drink up.. 3 ATM's will cure a hangover in la manana!

Day 3. To sum it up I feel tense, spaced out and bored. Was raining here today so didn't feel like a long hike and did not feel like working out anyway.

Besides job hunting I went to the bookstore and got a book called "Lost in the
Jungle." Talk about analogies..lol. Anyway I always enjoyed a good read...and I didn't do much when drunk.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Oh one more thing Itchy...your quote.."Perhaps you are finding that people are only as interesting, as they are interested. If so we have that in common too."

So true so true..
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Well done bud! Detox is a bear, but ya gotta do the closed water before you can act instead of react in open water. Detox is your closed water. It takes a few more days to start feeling the energy and then the minor medium term stuff. We both made it almost through today without a drink. Well without an alcoholic drink. I toast you with my iced tea in celebration, and wish you many more days without alcohol.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I admit freely that there is nothing more than I want now is a big, cool, nice glass of wine...it sucks big time. And I feel horrible.

Hope it gets better...and I think it will..